Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing some timed laps this evening, when the crank snapped at #4 journal. It's a 2.3L stroker, with a $#@# block....:cry::goingmad:

If I could figure out how to upload the picture, I would show you how bizarre it looks? :wallbang:

Was thinking of a couple of options:

* Buy a 2.3L short block from AMS or similar that already has billett crank etc ?
* Buy a new Evo 9 unit and do our prep work on it..good base to work from?
* Get a used 8/9 block and source billett crank, pistons etc..?

Guys you all appear to have more experience than I do, what would be the best long term option.

Were looking for around 450hp

Cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
It depends how much money you have m8 - did you build the last engine yourself? It will be much cheaper to source bits and build your own engine than buy one BUT a bought engine will have some warranty with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends how much money you have m8 - did you build the last engine yourself? It will be much cheaper to source bits and build your own engine than buy one BUT a bought engine will have some warranty with it.
Yeh we built the engine here..was putting out great torque, but the crank must of been faulty to break like it did.. But we need a quick fix as we are in the middle of a saloon championship and cant really afford to miss a round.
But don't want to make the fatal mistake of rushing into something and wasting cash we don't have too much of:kloguck:

Adamgt: it wasn't revving too hard...7400 max.

Does anyone have feedback on the ams package below:
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_44_292&products_id=1639

·
Premium Member
9,905 Posts
Some reason they've come to me not very clear, but i think people can see what's happened..:eek::eek:
That's surprising, I've never seen a crank break through a web:confused:, they "normally" break through a main journal

Could the crank have been "dropped" on the flywheel end at some time, prestressing the web, and waiting to fail?

Grant

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked the engine builder the same thing tonight..but he's pretty good and assures me it hasn't.. as I said bizarre!! :shake:

Anyhow need to think of a solution as that crank was only 3 weeks old! Thinking I may have to go to a billet to avoid the possibility happening again.!

But for some reason here, to buy them separately are not much cheaper than buying a short block with one fitted from overseas :rotz:

What are the cosworth bottom ends like...appears everyone is advertising them?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I would go for an Eagle 100mm item as they have been proved to be very strong.
Give [email protected] Samurai or [email protected] indigoGT a call and I am sure they will sort you out with what ever you need to put you car back on the track.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
lol sounds nice how aboot sheikh N steven :D[/QUOTE]

Like that one Mo :D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Like that one Mo :D
lol u remember him, he woz class i woz kid then i can shake a leg like he did lol , he rocked :D[/QUOTE]

Back on topic now you nutter and help this lad out :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts