Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

What is the best way to make my engine bay look all nice and clean, what do you use. Was not sure if I could steam clean it.

·
Ross Sport
17,138 Posts
Gizer in a napsack sprayer leave for 20mins and preasure wash off always does the trick for me.
Avoid caustic acidic/alcaline degreecers because of ali parts.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
lots of ?????????

elbow grease...lol, seriously though,stripping bits off one at a time and doing it bit by bit is the only way,unless its really cruddy and it could be steam cleaned with a bit of caution ;)

·
Premium Member
10,765 Posts
Steam cleaner may be ok. I use meguires metal polish and a couple of old toothbrushes. Takes time but worth the effort.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When i cleaned my engine bay after a 'small' oil spillage i just got a steam water blaster and a whole heap of degreaser and just went mental, just sprayed it everywhere, a little bit of elbow grease and man it came up absolutely spotless.

However areas to avoid are battery, coil packs, spark plugs.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
i never put a pressure washer/steam cleaner near my engine. Too many delicate electronics that can be disturbed.

I used gunk on a tooth brush and a tiny sponge with some liquid detergent on. Then polish up using either turtle wax or metal polishes and wire wool.
Steve

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Just make sure you spray all electrical components with duck oil first before using pressure washer that way repels the water.

·
Registered
189 Posts
engine cleaning

Dont bother would be my advice, i did mine 2 weeks ago now have a engine light fault that i cant trace how much do i wish id have left it dirty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steve220 said:
i never put a pressure washer/steam cleaner near my engine. Too many delicate electronics that can be disturbed.

I used gunk on a tooth brush and a tiny sponge with some liquid detergent on. Then polish up using either turtle wax or metal polishes and wire wool.
Steve
I've been told that too, but nothing has happened since i did it to my engine, however we did blow the plugs out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts