Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I developed a *big* stutter (almost complete engine cutout) when hitting 70mph in 3rd in my E6 GSR (happily exceeds 80mph in that gear normally). Happened twice then reset ECU this morning and was fine again until car got warm then came in big time again. No noticeable external noises though felt like a big backfire when it came in. It really is different to either rev limiter or fuel cut and I am dead worried that there was something up with the SUL I put in it yesterday. It was fine before this but developed the problem afterwards - is there such a thing as 'dirty petrol' which could effect things? I'll get it MUT tested Tuesday but anyone got a lcue please? TIA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mr Driver,

I presume you are talking about under hard accelaration.

Had something similar days after getting my EVO. I checked my plugs and found that they were worn with a 1.4mm gap! Generally speaking, the more power the engine is producing, the smaller the plug gap needs to be so that the ignition system can work efficiently. Under power the spark just wasn't good enough to light the charge. Not sure about the '6' but my EVO runs on a lost spark system so the plugs wear faster anyway.

After changing my plugs I took the original's back to the garage I bought the car from and asked what else they had overlooked during the service!

ps If you are running cooler racing plugs you'll get the same problem.

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ED, how's the stutter?

Talking with Toney Cox from Ralliart at Oulton on Friday, he was saying the ECU in the 6 is capable of learning about conditions. He then went on to say you could put 95RON in the car and it would recognise this and reduce performance etc. What I wast sure on, was whether you could run for sustained periods on 95ron or if it was only in emergencies. It may just be youve got some bad fuel or dare I suggest used 95ron instead of 97ron?

Hopefully, Robert H. can verify the above as he was present. I don't think you'll have damaged anything, but I'd get soem 97ron in asap if your going to drive hard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I ran the tank empty and filled up with some fresh SUL this afternoon (I *always* use SUL and would rather run dry on a motorway than use NUL!). Unfortunately the problem reared it's ugly head again tonight when toeing it in 2nd. I too suspect an ignition problem now as Estela concurs the sensation was the same the day one of my HT leads decided to break down. I concur with you RS Pilot. I am taking the car into the dealership tomorrow morning for MUT test and replacement plugs. Guess my new HT leads would've arrived by then too (have ble Ralliart uprated items, one of which broke down after 6 months and is being warranty exchanged). I really think it's *only* that but boy does one get paranoid when it happens - memories of WRXs blowing pistons haunt me!! Cheers lads. I'll let you know if ther's a funeral needs attending

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK im not very mechanichally minded but it reminds me of the day before I ordered my first set of forged pistons. judging by your Have WRX experience you have felt detonation before.

Interested to read about ecu auto remapping for non super - believe it or not i often use most of a second tank in one day........ honest. SUL can be a real bitch to find in some places - does octane booster do the trick if you are caught short?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's any consolation I had this problem days after getting my brand new GSR VI with stage 1.
It turned out to be that the engine was running on to overboost and the ecu shuts off the fuel supply. Just re-setting the ecu didn't help, I took it to Ralliart and they altered some of the boost settings which cleared it up.
I've had many discussions with Toney Cox at Ralliart regarding fuel and he always mainains the following:
SUL at all times wherever possible.
Normal unleaded can be used as a get you there emergency measure, but use as little as possible and stay right off the boost whilst using it.
Most interestingly he does NOT recommend the use of octane boosters EVER.

Hope you car is well soon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doubtless the MUT II will divulge all tomorrow morning (couldn;t get her in today due to getting up late!). Will let you all know in case someone else gets similar probs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could be the plugs,ive had this on motorways
when cruising at 80-90,if you then toe it it will blow the sparks out so to speak
using hks plugs now but havent driven up to croft lately

fuel,tech manual says if knock is detected the ecu re-sets to lower grade fuel settings
if this happens,it will show up on mut
you need to disconnect battery to re-set

1 - 9 of 9 Posts