Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the emission levels tested on my E5 (cat refitted) and the CO level is high, overfueling?
The HC level is about fine.

The car is booked into my local Mitsi garage for a check. What would you guys suggest is causing
these high readings ? Faulty Lambda / Oxygen sensor ? The car still runs perfectly.

Thanks in advance,
...Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brian,
Try giving the car a good hard run before doing the test. What might have happened is that the cat hasn't warmed up wnough to start doing it's job properly before the test. Take it out for a good blast to get it up to temperature before going back for a retest. This should hopefully clear it all up.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,

Thats what I did. Engine was running for over 30 minutes during the test but the levels wouldn't drop below acceptable limits. Took the car out for a 20 minute blast, (private road, 120 mph ;)) and then re-testing it, but no success. On the analyser you could see that when you lift off the throttle it would fall to reasonable levels but then go high again. Spoke to Ralliart a moment ago and they recommended getting the lambda sensor checked with the MUT-II tester at my local Mitsi garage.

Any other suggestions

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got my car back from my local Mitsubishi garage and they are saying there is nothing wrong with the car. There were no fault codes picked up with the MUT-II tester. All sensors were tested and are working perfectly. However it still shows slightly high CO content. They think it could be down to the non standard exhaust, (Magnex downpipe - cat refitted - Magnex full system) and are suggesting I refit the entire OEM exhaust |PLS| panel filter and try again !?!

Has anyone else had these problems getting their EVO through an emissions test ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not being funny Brian but can't you find a nice friendly tester that will either pass it or not test it??? I assume all you are going to do once it's passed is re-fit the Magnex system anyway???

My old LC was de-catted and the garage the previous owner took it for it's test didn't test for emissions he told me, so I took it there as well and they didn't even bother, although did complete the rest of the test. That car would definitely have failed the emissions test.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SwinYE5

I know what you mean :( At the end of the day, the full Magnex is going back on anyway http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Its pi55ing me off, great weather up north at the moment and the cars stuck in my garage cause I dont have that little bit of paper. Tree huggin green brigade!

The OEM system is going back on this Friday and the car gets checked again. If it still fails then I may have to go to a more bendable tester.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You carnt use a friendly tester nowa days, as they have to have a computer log and print out thats specifically for YOUR car and no-one elses.My best m8`s an MOT tester and he`s told me i`ll have to reinstall the cat when i take it down to him this year (unlike last year ;))

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Span,
What fuel are you using? Try using Optimax if you are not already, I know with other cars using a good quality fuel can help you get through MOT emissions if they are borderline. Try reseting the ECU (disconnect the battery for 30 seconds) and then idling for a while and then go for a good blast.
It seems like you have but make sure that CAT is well toastie before testing. I suppose it's possible the CAT is on the way out, perhaps it's worth borrowing someone elses?
The only other things I can think of to check would be a clean air intake and the plugs/ignition.
I believe that some Evo's running aftermarket management can pass the later more stringent emissions test (post '95) even with the CAT removed (Norris Design?) so I don't know what the problem with yours is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi HH6,

At present Optimax is not available in my neck of the woods (Scotland) :( I would have to travel a fair distance to get some. I am putting the standard (new) air filter inplace of my Ralliart one and getting the full OEM system refitted. I will also have the use of another cat to swap with mine during the test to see if my one has deteriorated.

I will post the results by the end of this week.

..Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TRY A HKS AFR UNIT £100 have it fitted and lean the mixture of for the test then disconnect after the test . then once a year you can do the same again . i have an old afr from my gtir yours for £40
tel 07715110462 . i know this is only a quick fix but it should get you through the test for little cost
best regards EVO400 DAVE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its sorted :)

Turned out my cat had deteriorated and was not functioning well (if not at all!) swapped it out for another one (thanks evojkp ;)) and it sailed through the test.

....Brian (back on the road)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts