Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an exhaust being fitted soon, and I'm going to fit a de-cat pipe so I can have some lovely flames, pops bangs, and the like.

The only thing that concerns me is that I have seen a number of road-side police emissions checks whereby they will just pull a car over and check it. They will 99 times out of 100 pull over an Evo making a bit of noise.

Can anyone tell me what the official law if for a car that fails its emissions test?

Is it a fine?
An MOT re-test?
A slap on the wrist?

Please no, "well my mate said that..." as I'd prefer direct experiences and information.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So far as I understand it, you could get any one of the three.

If a car is found with high emissions it is deemed "unroadworthy" as it would not pass an MOT. This means that they could give you a fine. :mad:

The norm is to give you some kind of producer that means you have to show up at your local cop-shop within a few days with confirmation from an MOT station that your vehicle now meets the MOT criteria on the item that you have been pulled for. They might use this for a blown bulb etc as well.

They could tell you that you are a naughty boy and don't do it again but unless the cop in question is wearing an MLR badge I wouldn't count on it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
369 Posts
u will find when u put the pipe on your car it will most likley still be within the emmisions tolerance mine was. i wouldnt worry about it to much i would worry more about the flames sending the back of your car black and if u was ever questioned about no cat just reply whats a cat?????? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty
> I have an exhaust being fitted soon, and I'm going to fit a de-cat
> pipe so I can have some lovely fuel cuts and the like.

Good stuff.

> Can anyone tell me what the official law if for a car that fails
> its emissions test?

You'll get a form that you take to the MOT station to rectify any faults, and they'll put "emissions" on it. Once you pass your emission test (you have 14 days I think, maybe 7) the MOT place stamps the form, charges you money, then you send the form off to the police. Note it isn't a full re-MOT, the MOT place only check the fault the cops put on the form.

If you are stopped again for the same thing you might have a harsher penalty such as slapping a "prohibition" order on your car which means you'd better have BFH.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL at Aidy.

Don't worry about the fuel cuts - I have a plan ;)

Thanks for your replies - a helpfull bunch as always.

A de-cat pipe it is then. :D

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
lets hope i dont get pulled for it then.

Mr Autronics wont be happy

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Or spend £200 odd and get a sports cart.
WRX are doing APS ones for £210 inc.

Almost a good flow as a decat and will pass MOT and roadsite arse

:D

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
Frosty said:
But no flames, which is the whole point of me removing it.
If you're doing it for flames and popping I wouldn't bother, you're not really going to get them. Maybe the odd flash of unburnt petrol on a gear change but that's all.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Shrader said:
Or spend £200 odd and get a sports cart.
WRX are doing APS ones for £210 inc.

Almost a good flow as a decat and will pass MOT and roadsite arse

:D
Do you have contact details for WRX. Currently got a de-cat. Does the sport cat change the exhaust note back to how it was with the original cat ?

Cheers
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts