Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

my Evo 6 is now running, after 4 weeks in the garage. This is just a message to tell you what happened, in case you have the same. A month ago, I lost all power on the highway, and it seemed that the wastegate was not responding propoerly (always open).
As I gave the car back to the garage where I bought it (a rally team which runs Evos on the WRC), they did not want to just change everything without knowing what had happened, so they took their time and changed every part of the car and tested it to find if it was this part that caused the failure.
Now they have finished and it seems that it was a real ***ing problem. I had an alarm fitted to the car, and they found that the alarm was not compatible with the immobiliser that was on the car (which I didn't know there was one), so it messed up all the electronics, causing the engine to overheat, and damaging the combustion chambers...
The result is that they have changed everything on the car (from the exhaust to the engine, and all the wirings,...!), and they removed the alarm I had installed.
They told me they had the same problem once with someone's Evo 5, end it took them 3 weeks to eventually find out that the autoradio was causing damages to the on-board electronics!
The 2 cars were brand new, and NOT modified. So take care, because the electronics on these cars are very sensitive.

I am supposed to have my car back tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know how it runs now.

Hope you never have the same problem. It even drove the Ralliart (Germany and Spain) engineers crazy.

Cheers
Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tarik,

Sorry to hear of the problems and indeed your note is rather worrying.

What alarm system did you have installed and if you know what immobiliser was fitted previously.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The system I had fitted (in France) is a Cobra alarm. It is supposed to be very good (which I am sure it is), it is simply not compatible with the electronic management of the Evo 6. I do not know yet which immobiliser there was on the car, but as it was brand new, I suppose it is the factory one (still have to ask for details about that)

Cheers

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tarik

Hope it is all OK now and you can enjoy the car again.Maybe you will be in the UK some time.

Regards Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kevin,

It is good to have the car back again, but as they have changed the engine, I have to do all the running in again... To make sure the car runs properly, I will go to the Nurburgring (again) on the 13-14 May. If it has another problem, I prefer to see it right now, while it is still under warranty.
I was in Silverstone for the GP, and the week before for the testings, but I did not have recovered my car then, so I was not with it. Still, it would be nice to meet you someday on a track (the only ones I meet in France are the guys from the French Subaru Club...)

Regards

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's interesting that the problem was caused by a Cobra alarm, since the Mitsubishi Diamond alarms fitted to the Ralliart UK cars are actually 'badged' Cobras...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a grey import Evo 6 and it's fitted with a Cobra alarm - and the Mitsubishi dealer told me it was the same one they used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys, but I made a little mistake. The alarm I had fitted (and removed) is a Codealarm. However, thanks for the info that the Cobra is fitted by Mitsu; I'll have it fitted asap

Cheers

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just as an aside, Codealarm are no longer Thatcham certificated systems following a buyout. I had to spend 250 quid getting yet another immobiliser fitted to my car in order to renew the insurance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in France, and here the insurances take the codealarm without any problem, as long as it is a 4-star alarm .
Anyway, right now, I think I'll fit the Snap-Off steering wheel system. Anyone knows anything about it? good, bad ?

Cheers

Tarik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts