Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been reading a lot about maximum boost levels on EVO VII and have come up with the conclusion that 1.1 - 1.2 bar is a safe boost level on a standard ECU. I have a Greedy Profec A Electronic boost controller ( www.greddy.com/products/electronics_frame.htm ) and would like any opinions on weather this unit is worth fitting and if it provides the same advantages as comparable HKS or Blitz units. I have been using the Profec A unit on my Eclipse GTS (same engine as EVO without the torque

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The most common electronic boost controllers over here (Philippines) are the Profec A, Profec B and the Apex'i AVC-R.

I hear really good things about the Profec A (I'll leave the B out of the discussion because I think that's a more drag-application oriented controller). I bought an Apex'i AVC-R myself, mainly because I got dazzled by the fancy blue display and list of features. And also because many of the other mods on my car are by Apex'i.

I find however that the Apex'i does not hold the boost too well (tends to be a bit erratic), and I've heard that the Profec A is much better at this. One uses a solenoid, while the other uses a stepper motor to regulate the boost-- I can't remember which is which, but one is supposed to be better than the other for this. If I could do it over again, I would probably get the Profec A.

I hear the HKS unit is practically the same as the Profec, though in my opinion the Profec looks nicer/classier.

Oh, and the fancy-shmancy blue display on the Apex'i gets really tiring really fast! It looks like a bloody taxi meter! Ugh!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best boost controller should be hks evc, followed closely by the apexi avcr. the avcr has LOTS of features, tuning for every gear, diff rpm...etc etc. over here, i know a few people whose evo7 are running at 1.4bar boost with boost controllers. and i think its pretty safe, cuz if you noticed, the evo7 stock at 4th gear can run up to 1.4bar boost alrdy though it will drop to 1.3 where it will hold there. and so far no complaints of any evo7 running at 1.4bar with boost controllers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.4 bar, thats a lot wouldnt you need additional fuel so you dont get a fuel cut? I have heard that 1.1-1.2 boost is safe. Anyway if 1.4 is safe I will take it :D Any other experiences out there with Electronic boost controllers? Does anyone that has an EVO VII is also running at 1.4 bar?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get a fuel cut running 1.4bar on my car, but it's still running on a std E4 ECU, still waiting
to have an E6 ECU and have PE remap it for my car, which is able to run upto 2bar.
It seems to run ok at 1.3bar with no probs and is still very fast.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Singapore you are talking pants. I had an HKS EVC IV originally and it dropped off boost to near standard levels at mid to high revs. The Apexi I've now got is so much better and as previously said, it can be set to revs.
The Evc is set at a certain point and that's your lot! Not very clever when you finally get it set as good as its ever been and are finally satisfied with it. Then a week later you have a car full of people and try to accelerate in third gear up a hill and it starts boosting way too much!

EVC just doesn't give enough control, but is certainly better than not having one.
Apexi gets a big thumbs up!

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey!

Thinking bout getting a APEXi AVC-R...Any supportive comment will go down well with convincing the woman!

Approx price inc. Fitting and amp; Set-up?
(She wont B happy with that 1 so make the first comment good!)
and amp; where to get it done?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine from RC Developments and they set it up too. I also got a lot of other things chucked on at the same time, but I don't think you'd want to frighten the missus with that!
Best give them a ring, they're very helpful and knowledgable.

Steve Ross
Not any relation are you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Singapore,

Erm... I assume you are from there. If so, where are good places in Singapore to go shopping for parts? I may be there for business in mid-April. Not looking for anything in particular, just browsing about... though I'm sure the bug will bite me if I see anything remotely interesting for my car :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original Post:
Hey!

Thinking bout getting a APEXi AVC-R...Any supportive comment will go down well with convincing the woman!
I have one installed, it works perfectly and gave the expected results. It is the most advanced boost controller available today, which is why I bought it!

Original Post:
Approx price inc. Fitting and amp; Set-up?
(She wont B happy with that 1 so make the first comment good!)
and amp; where to get it done?
I take it your wife is reading this with you. Say hi from me. Price is £29 incl VAT and setup.

Is she gone? Approximate price is £450 incl VAT |PLS| labour. I would go to http://www.rcdevelopments.com to get it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rosco: i am just relaying the reviews i get from friends and workshops around in singapore man, but if you are supportive of the avcr, i am happy also, cuz i wanted one as well. do you have problems with yer avcr? and sorry you installed yer avcr on which model of the evo? cuz i have heard from a pretty reliable source saying tat after they tried the avcr on the evo7, the stepping motor was pretty noisy(the ticking sound), another point was tat the solenoid(i dont know wat tat is hehe) was not big enough subsquently they couldnt get the avcr to set 1.4bar boost at the 1st n 2nd gears. i was recommended the blitz boost controller, as it is user friendly and also quieter and have a bigger solenoid, able to control up to 2bar boost with no problems. but was still told tat the hks evc is the best. would really like to know wat you have done with yer avcr :) thank u

hesperus: yeap i am from singapore :) if you dont mind, i can bring you go shopping for parts. mid-april huh? hrmmm we will be having a car park rally over here during april, not sure exact date tho, but if yer interested, i can find out when so mabbe you can arrange yer trip such tat it coincides with the event.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
torque: i dont think the evo7 gets fuel cut running the boost controller at 1.4bar with std ecu, and since the std evo7 achieves 1.3bar, i dont think running it at 1.4bar will be dangerous besides the std car is running way too rich for my liking. right now i am still deciding on which boost controller i would take, need to really find out which is da one for me. btw do you have a boost gauge? cuz i installed my boost gauge on the 2nd day i collected my evo7, so far i have been monitoring the boost levels for 6mths now. thus i am quoting from experience, not heresay ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Singapore, NO boost guage yet, but have heard from several sources that 1.4 bar will be fine, since I have very few miles on my carI will be opting for 1.3 boot for everyday driving, I think this will do the job fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the EVCIV you ahd trailed boost, might i suggest that you not had it installed properly, or had not done the prgramming as per the manual. We haev done nearly 200 EVC4 installs over the last couple years, and all work like a charm. On my own two turbo cars, I run them as well.

HKS also offers the EVCProp...pricey, but has many cool features, and not the heinus look (IMHO) of the A'pexi piece. EVCPro allos for boost set by TPS, rpm, and even speed. but like I said, its pricey (several JZ80 supra owners here run them, cost around $1500US...plus it controls up to 3 bar :0 Yikes!

EVCIV is a much better value at $650US

EVCEZ (do you guys get this?) is also a great value; no fuzzy logic (cannot learn your curve),a nd no digital display, but uses the same stepper motor as the EVCIV and EVCPro, and sells for $399US

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Power Station fitted mine! They said it's a characteristic of the EVC, so obviously they haven't got a clue! But that's how it was.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, if you still have it and want it done right, just shoot me an email...I can walk you though it. A monkey could literally do it properly!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
evo7 boost cut is not until 1.55bar according to my hks gauge. and only if you hold it for more than 2 secs that it will trigger fuel cut.

the 7gsr ( mine anyway) peaked to 1.4 bar and held 1.3 but the boosts die pretty quickly by 5000rpm.

save your money on fancy electronic boost controllers and get your self a manual one. the dawe from the states or the HPSX from aussie land. there should be loads of them anyway. i have used one of these and it allowed my to hold the boost at the top end better and made the car feel generally stronger.

save your money on fancy boost controllers that won;t make much of a difference on the 7 and get yourself a proper ecu for the thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can only agree with what Sam says. Just check my dyno thread. I achieved very good results with a manual boost controller in connection with a PE remap. The remap and the MBC together cost me less than some of those fancy boost controllers. The boost curve is very nice and was quite easy to achieve.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
although i havent fitted it yet,the apexi boost controller is ,if it does what it says in the tin,far more usefull than the blitz i am currently using.
the ability to map boost to revs is obviously brilliant,
but yes,you can get it right without one.
just wish i had apexi first time round !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't got the EVC anymore, that was on my Scooby and Rene Smeenk in Holland has now got it.
I've now got an Apexi boost controller and from what I've seen it holds boost very well! That was set up by RC.

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts