Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

Im looking at getting an aftermarket electronic boost control unit on my E5 but dont know much about it?
Which oens have you had experience with ? On a E5 what would you think the lower and high boost settings would be ?
Any suggestions on brands etc etc

Hit me with the info http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

caio!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't have a boost controller,but I think that the apexi avc r is one of the best and nice looking too.
The blitz dual solenoid boost controller is now avaible in new coulour,grey with blue illumination.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Apex-i unit is good but I personally thought it has a lot of features I would never use. I chose the Greddy Profec B. It is the cheapest electronic controller I am aware of. It has none of the fancy gimmicks though, except for high and lo boost. There is no digital display - It just has knobs that have no untis on them, just max and min. You have to watch your boost gauge to set them. Once you have done that it works flawlessly. Boost response is better than stock and boost stays where you set it.It only cost $300.00 US.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The orginal low boost setting on your E5 should be at around 1.0 bar, after you have the bost controller fitted you can increase your boost up to 1.3 bar depends on what short of mods you have done on your E5.
Normally in order to reach 1.35 bar , you need fuel controller, industion kit, exhaust,..possibly de-cat.
ON our experinence unless you are going to have further stage of your engine modification otherwise boost over 1.35 bar, engine tend to be pinging.

HKS EVC 3 and APEXi AVC-R are more recommended, as they are self-learning unit, obviously APEXi one has got more advanced feature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You stated that my Low Boost should be at 1.0 bar. My car is a stcok standard evo 5. At the moment
it would not be running 1.0 bar would it? It certainly doenst feel like it. Whats the standard psi for a stock evo 5 ?

My car will be going to ralliart soon to get my exhaust, induction kit, intercooler piping kit and boost controller (when I get one) installed ? after these are done how much boost should it be capable of safely .

Are you stating , set the low boost at 1.0 bar with mods and 1.35 bar as a high boost setting?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once the boost controller plug into the ECU ,it will reads your standard boost automatically (1.0 bar on E5)which will be your LOW setting, on your high setting I would suggest 1.2 to 1.3 bar at high boost on the safe side at this stage.

Do bear in mind although HKS EVC and APEXi AVC-R both called boost controller but they actually work differently on the setting and function.
Briefly speking AVC-R will adjust within your pre-set setting depends on your throttle, which the EVC is just fixed boost setting on the high and low mode.

James

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that.

At the moment since my cars stock it wont be running 1.0 bar without the contoller would it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From your question, it seem you don't have a boost gauge. I recommend you fit one before messing with boost controllers. The HKS and Apex controllers do display boost, but an analog gauge mounted in easy eyesight will be much easier to read and more useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts