Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having an electrical issue somewhere as basically when car is idling I can see what appears to be the sidelights dimming on and off and in conjunction with the interior lights on heater and clock, I also think its causing my evo to have lumpy idle, this possible? alternator?
anyone any ideas?
I have had my battery converted to rear boot used autoleads equipment, battery terminals are on tight can't be that.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
sorry they call it a guage to determin the thickness , 0 guage is the thickest really chunky wire , wich is what i use , as when i used 4 guage or 8 guage , it wasnt good enough to carry the voltage to the boot , ,the wire needs to be thicker to carry more voltage over alonger distance , the alternator has to work harder if the wire is thin,

try this below first !

also as recomend if you have earthed the the battery to the boot make sure its a really good conection , re bare metal showing , i ran two earths on mine just to be sure , but i am running sound sytem ! hth

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a good question paul the battery was installed to boot I drove car for abit then it went in garage for something else fixing so really not had chance to monitor it I dont recall what it was like before battery went to boot to be honest :shake:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
would recomend take a look at earths make sure all conected , also the wire thats bin run from front has good conection , if some one has one of those amzing tools the rac use , plastic orange thing looks like claw they hold it around cable and it tells them what voltage the alternator is putting out , will rule that out if voltage ok , should be around 14v with engine running

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
reet this is how it looks in the rear as you can see just the 1 earth by looks of it to chassis from negative and its a small nut not sure how bare the metal beneath it is and you can see how thick the cable is used.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just noticed tonight its really wierd but it appears when I apply the brakes it causing the side lights outside to pop on and it dims the interior lights like heater and clock :shake:any ideas what the hell could be causing this? bad earth? quite funny cause I can flash my side lights at people by tapping my brakes! :mhihi: would police do me for this sort of issue? applying brakes causes side lights flash on and off. lol

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
When you say sidelights which ones do you mean, the ones in the front, the back, the repeaters or all of them? Sounds like and eart fault at first glance but if you narrow it down it woudl help.

Sorry, edited to remove repeaters - not relevant.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
You have an earth fault for sure, the boot floor of an evo is not a great earth point to start with.
you need to run the earth cable back to the front of the car and re connect it with the original multiple earths, the connection on the terminal itself looks poor and the cable size looks a little small.

lastly is the battery sealed?
if not it is not suitable for use inside a vehicle as it will give off gas when charging.

sorry for negativity (no pun intended) but it will solve your problems, i have had numerous earth problems while installing big car audio, your symptoms are typical

a quick way to test is to get a HD jump lead, connect it to the negative terminal (leaving the existing connected) and connect the other end to the towing eye under the car, the boot latch or any other firmly fixed bare metal item, if thing improve the earth is inadequate.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I reckon, without any further information, that the earth connection that used to go to the battery in its orginal location is not properly earthed to the chassis. You haven't said there's any problem with starting the car so to me that says there's no problem with the battery earth (the one in the picture) and the cabling to the starter/12v supply. I think if you look under the bonnet there will be a problem with the earthing of the original cables that used to go to the battery that should now be earthed to the chassis somewhere (as opposed to just the engine block asembly). It might just be a case of nipping a bolt up a little bit tighter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the rear bulbs have 2 filaments inside, the bulb filament on yours are bridged meaning when you make a circuit with power going throgh the brake light the power is also going through the side light circuit. simply fit 2 new bulbs.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
as above its worth checking bulbs , try taking one out at a time on each corner in daylight see if cures the problem then you will find your short ,

had this on an ldv van when i braked the headlights would flash , it was like this for days as awaiting booking in .

It got to the point that when you turned engine off with keys it would still run even with keys removed, only way to turn it off was to put your foot on brake !

once checked out by ldv service it was a short in rear brake light cluster ,

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys will try some of those suggestions and get back to you :D

To make a note I have an apexi power fc and have looked at hand commander and while engine is on gettin a steady suppply of around 14.3v so it looks like its supplying the correct voltage :rotz:

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Voltage is not that important, you can have 1 single tiny strand of wire making the circuit that will give you a voltage reading, however it will be unable to carry enough current (amps) to sustain all the electrical items while the car is idling,
as brian suggests have a look where the battery was originally connected and see what was done with the earths.
I would agree with the bulb theory if it only occured under breaking but Lee said it happens when idling it is also unlikely that both stop and tail bulbs have bridged filaments at the same time, its easy to check tho, just take them out.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
the rear bulbs have 2 filaments inside, the bulb filament on yours are bridged meaning when you make a circuit with power going throgh the brake light the power is also going through the side light circuit. simply fit 2 new bulbs.
Yes but he's also got dash light dimming which suggests to me a poor earth in common.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
thanks guys will try some of those suggestions and get back to you :D

To make a note I have an apexi power fc and have looked at hand commander and while engine is on gettin a steady suppply of around 14.3v so it looks like its supplying the correct voltage :rotz:
It depends how that's connected and where the earth for the Apexi has been picked up from.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maybe it is the bulb theory as it is only happening under braking sorry for confusion C+S evo7.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts