Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery on my 6 keeps draining so fast.
I have an Odyssey battery, I know these ain't the best, but surely these should last more than 9 days.

Every time I go away for work or holiday, I get phoned up by the noise abatement guys from the council threatening to tow it. The battery goes so flat that the Toad alarm I have just chirps because its out of power.
It's a brand new battery with a solar powered trickle charger connected to it.

Very annoying.

Can someone give me advise about who to take this to. Do I need a mechanic, or do I need an electrician, or do I need someone to cut my alarm out?
How can I trace the source of the power drain?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Sounds like 1 of the plates is shorting out bud and so slowly draining power, if its going dead within 5-10 mins id be bringing the battery back to wherever and fling it at them if its more like 1 to 12 hrs you have something shorting and depending on the load it uses will depend how long it will take to drain. Are you certain its not the alarm itself?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It takes over a week to drain. The car won't start the apex read out of the voltage is low.

The alarm chirping is the symptom of the drain....and also the thing that mean the council have threatened to tow it, and one of my neighbours has threatened to torch it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It takes over a week to drain. The car won't start the apex read out of the voltage is low.

The alarm chirping is the symptom of the drain....and also the thing that mean the council have threatened to tow it, and one of my neighbours has threatened to torch it.
Ouch. New battery then i'd say.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It will be a combination of battery and alarm. believe it or not, the Toad alarms are heavy on juice for some reason....
Personally, i dont rate these race batterys if the cars not used everyday, id return to a normal battery and if its parked off the road, disconnect the battery and remove it when the cars not in use

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
What is the best way to fault find a battery drain?
My little brothers EK9 keeps draining the battery. We bought another battery as it looked in a bit of a mess but about 2 weeks later it is has drained again.
The weird thing is it didn't show signs of struggling to start then was just completely flat again one morning.
I'm guessing something is staying on occasionally and draining it.
Is the easiest way to check all this to connect a multimeter in series with the battery checking the current and pull a fuse one by one until we find what is draining the battery?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts