Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is normal
im told 950 is the safe upper level ????
cant get mine above 800
how accurate are these things ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I remember reading that the temp on the egt will be about 200 degrees cooler than the temp at the turbo so you may be actaully touching 1000 in the turbo, I also seem to recall that 950 was a suggested safe limit at the turbo not at the egt sensor (I'm guessing the limit will be higher for the Ti turbo, does anyone know?)

That being the case you may be a bit hot

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as close as can be to the turbo flange
ref the turbo temps,is it not the combustion chamber temps we should be concerned with ?
after all,the pistons are on the inside
?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
makes sense to me JC but I have no idea about safe temp limits inside, I just responded with what little I could remember :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what (little) I've read about it, the best place for the EGT sensor is as close to the block as possible.

Temperature drop across the turbo was apparently 150-200 degrees, depending on conditions etc.

I think the block (pistons, valves etc.) and the turbo (for inconel) can't take much more than 1000C without being too close to melting (melts at around 1100-1200C I think).

So an EGT of 800C *after* the turbo would seem to indicate a chamber temp of around 1000C, or about as close to the limit as I'd want to take it. An EGT of 800C *before* the turbo should be fairly safe, as the chamber temp would be around 800C too.

As usual, I'm probably talking out of my arse... bear in mind I have no experience of modding any car (even my 6 is still standard).

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JC,

High EGT gives you an indication that you are getting close to lean running and detonation. I have one on my monte turbo which are notorious for running lean at high boosts. I have seen 950'C on this and engine is ok without all the trick bits (like oil jets under pistons) that you have on an evo. Andrewn has EGT on his E7 and has seen over 900. Therefore you are well safe. You could try leaning it out/more ignition advance which should give more power.

In terms of accuracy that will depend on the probe (probably a thermocouple so will be good |PLS|/- 5' at most) and the accuracy of the display device (normally pretty good for a digital display |PLS|/- 10).

You are right that it will be the pistons that suffer most at extreme EGT. It's obviously possible to overcook the turbo but the pistons will have melted before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah still got the 6...8 comes out march 03 (well in nz anyway) hopefully will be a lot lighter, have 250kw standard, 6 speed sequential (non auto) box, etc otherwise ill keep this one
high egt can also be caused by retarded ignition timing, advanced exhaust cam timing or too rich so stuff is burning in the manifold
my max is a nice round 1000 (at 7000 in 5th) i am about an inch from the exhaust port in the runner closest to the coolant bottle
so far nothing broken, pretty much done everything but stand on my head to turn it down
checked my gauge on the digital and is accurate also my egt alarm tallies (was preset in the states)
boost here about 1.5 to 1.6
ramp up the timing to about 17 deg total advanced here (cf 5 deg total at 5000)
could run more but there is phantom knock at 6900 and 7100 which trips the knock retard
should be able to get about 20
will det if you go much higher
o2 voltage here and amp;gt;.85 and voltage falling due to hot probe
ran 875 max on the standard ecu
will see how it looks after cams (cams out of motor at the moment)
maybe retarding the exhaust will help

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you hear that about the 8 specs?? Rumours?
I thought the Japanese car manufacturers had a gentleman agreement of not making car with over 226kW or there about? Dont forget the potential also depends on the boost it's already running (E6 vs E7)...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with any luck the gentlemans agreement will disappear soon, seen a few articles where they suggest the new skylines could be 400bhp as standard.

Would be interested to see where you got the info from though Andrew

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let's wait for him to wake up (is there a swear word for people from NZ? Any suggestions from our (well, your) Australian criminal cousins? :D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
probe is as near as poss to turbo flange
driving at constant 100mph,no boost it reads 800
does not go above 850 even through the gears

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i am similar at 100. what about at 150? i hit 900 top of 4th (7500) and then 900 at 6000 in 5th and then it climbs to a maximum of about 1000 at the very top of 5th about 7500 or a bit more (tacho reads 200 high compared to link)

i have decided to raise the knock sensitivity to 120 aiming for 20deg total at 7500, motor is very quiet now with water
1 event at 5000 (about 140 amplitude) and two 120s, one at 6900 and one at 7100, pretty sure the two 120s are phantom knock as still does it at 1 bar, still like to run more timing at 5000 but this is a difficult area, threw more fuel at it but just slows the car down
was getting det when lift off for gear change at full noise as timing would go full advance with drop in map (who says link doesnt have enough processing power) but now running 0 advance on overrun above 4500
will be fitting a new pump as power should go up with a lower injector cycle |PLS| if get more power up top with cams then rewire still not enough

8 scheduled for march 03 nz (presumably announced new year)
the rumor is a 'more radical' car, although 7 has 'sold well' (eupherism for disappointing)

andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts