Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those in the know, are all Ecutek re-maps equal?.By that, i mean if Sam re-mapped a car, and Clive mapped a car, would they come out the same?, or does each tuner have the ability to deceide what settings to run, and whats best for each engine/vehicle.Just getting another Evo, and fancy the Ecutek flash, so was wondering who to get the job done with,or is it all much of a muchness?.Regards, SIMON. :confused: :)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Styles do vary so there is more than one right answer.

The tuners you mention are to my knowledge excellent. In terms of comparisons, I did compare a map I did with one that Sam did on a similar spec of car, and the ignition timing was very close indeed even though we reached that conclusion independently. I would say we are both ace rather than both crap then ;) but I would :)

Some tuners do a remap and leave you with standard ignition and valve timing with insignificant changes to the fuelling and fit a boost controller for example. On the Evo making power is very easy so they get away with what is really less than half a job. Quality varies widely.

Some aftermarket IX maps look considerably worse for ignition timing and valve timing than a stock 360, they just run more boost.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
On a slight tangent .....

I've been looking into ECUTEK remaps since after the previous ECUTEK remap I now have a Walbro and AVCR fitted and that was to be the end of my performance modding. Since mine previously had an ECUTEK remap it would have been cheaper for any subsequent ECUTEK remaps.

However, my preferred tuner doesn't work with ECUTEK so in the end I decided to go for Autronics which he does use.

Given the choice if finances permit, I'd recommend by speaking to your preferred tuner and see what he prefers / recommends.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
johnbanks said:
Some tuners do a remap and leave you with standard ignition and valve timing with insignificant changes to the fuelling and fit a boost controller for example. On the Evo making power is very easy so they get away with what is really less than half a job. Quality varies widely.

Some aftermarket IX maps look considerably worse for ignition timing and valve timing than a stock 360, they just run more boost.
Hmmm..... wonder which tuner does this :tsk: and gets away with it!!! :wallbang:

:blush:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
No they aren't all equal.

mapping an ecutek is like mapping any ecu. The resulting map and performance is solely dependent on the mapper and the individual car.

One mapper may produce more power, but may be closer to the edge of det and engine safety.

I don't know enough about the evo mappers to suggest who is better than who, but I know Sam has a lot of experience and is very trusted.

I also know who JB is talking about and wouldn't be inclined to use them if his experience is representative of their work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts