Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22,027 Posts
Andy Forrest does them for the Subaru so i would expect he would do them for the Evo too

I think he is in East Lothian

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
P.M me and i'll give you his mobile no, he has turned my MR into a possible FQ400 beater for not a lot of cash :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pm

JOHN'S RED VII said:
P.M me and i'll give you his mobile no, he has turned my MR into a possible FQ400 beater for not a lot of cash :D
tried 2 send u pm but i get a message saying your mailbox is full?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
oops try now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers mate. i'll give him a phone after i buy a blitz nur spec r exhaust,downpipe,de-cat or hi-flow cat & get them fitted, should have that done in the next 2 weeks. ;)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
As far as I am aware there is only one place in Scotland that does the Ecutek remaps on a dyno , that is wallace performance.

How else you going to find out what you've gained? :confused:
More importantly, how can you map the fecker if you can't see where/when you are making gains??!!??
Seat of the pants-o-meter is very limited :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Russs said:
As far as I am aware there is only one place in Scotland that does the Ecutek remaps on a dyno , that is wallace performance.

More importantly, how can you map the fecker if you can't see where/when you are making gains??!!??
if your running more boost,running close to det without detting and afr is ok your making power.rr will tell you what you made after that.You must be aware that if you do it on a rr to start with you then need the road to check it as air flow and spool changes

·
Registered
690 Posts
Russs said:

Russ
Many people believe that mapping a car on the road is the best place for it. After all doing it on a RR is not true driving conditions

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Agreed, don't think mapping on the dyno is representative of real world conditions, practically impossible to accurately emulate the temp/load combinations you'll encounter during road driving.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
AIR FORCE 1 said:
You must be aware that if you do it on a rr to start with you then need the road to check it as air flow and spool changes
That goes without saying doesn't it?
No disprespect, but any decent dyno operator should know that.

yesitismine said:
Russ
Many people believe that mapping a car on the road is the best place for it. After all doing it on a RR is not true driving conditions
There is no way you can create all the necessary load situations on the road to check a whole map. And it is downright dangerous and licence risking mapping a car on the road.........

heaveho said:
Agreed, don't think mapping on the dyno is representative of real world conditions, practically impossible to accurately emulate the temp/load combinations you'll encounter during road driving.
There is no disputing that the car would need to be checked on the road afterwards.
Your temp/load assumption is not correct though.
Can you hold your car at, say, 5000 revs in any gear at any load on the road? Of course not.
If the dyno cell is set up correctly, then you can demonstrate lower charge temps on the dyno than out on the road.

Not attempting to say I know better than everyone here, but until you have tried mapping in both situations you can't know all the pitfalls.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
not wanting to get into an argue here but there is alot of rubbish thrown in here as usual.

first, I AM AN OFFCIAL ECUTEK TUNER. if you are not sure check with ecutek. plus i am also an MLR trader which means some of the money made goes back into the MLR and support the community.

as for the rollers, they do have their uses, but they are not subsitute to road mapping. at the end of the day if you are using an 80mph fan then you are only going to supply air good enough for 80mph, period... end of story that is 4500revs in 4th gear. if anything when the car is mapped on the rollers they tend to run lean on the road. think about it not enough air going in the engine on the rollers= not enough fuel. but when on the road you are actually mapping the car for the as much as it can get.

not managing to replicate the load on the road is also rubbish? you can drive the car through all the revs and and the gears if you which to do so.

sam

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I would agree with Sam.

I tried to simulate road conditions on the RR by timing 3rd & 4th gear runs (from (1500rpm to 7000rpm) on the road in an attempt to load the rollers sufficiently enough to create the same timed power runs (that couldn't be done) on this specific RR. ;)

RR may be useful for fine tuning but I much prefer road mapping ensuring "Real Life" parameters. RR's hold false boost levels at un true rev ranges that will not occur on the road.

As mappers go, I can't think of many better than Sam. ;)

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Evo Stuart said:
I would agree with Sam.

I tried to simulate road conditions on the RR by timing 3rd & 4th gear runs (from (1500rpm to 7000rpm) on the road in an attempt to load the rollers sufficiently enough to create the same timed power runs (that couldn't be done) on this specific RR. ;)

RR may be useful for fine tuning but I much prefer road mapping ensuring "Real Life" parameters. RR's hold false boost levels at un true rev ranges that will not occur on the road.

As mappers go, I can't think of many better than Sam. ;)
ditto , sams a natural at mapping always has been

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Russs said:

Nothing stopping you taking it to a RR of your choice once the map has been done.

At the end of the day, would you not prefer to know what the car is doing on the road. A quick road car is better than having a car that shows the BHP figs for the pub. ;)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
slug said:
cheers mate. i'll give him a phone after i buy a blitz nur spec r exhaust,downpipe,de-cat or hi-flow cat & get them fitted, should have that done in the next 2 weeks. ;)
Slug,

I have a Magnex front pipe & de cat for sale & may have a Blitz Nur Spec R for sale if the interested party doesn't take it. Not too far away from you if your interested mate ;)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Evo Stuart said:
Nothing stopping you taking it to a RR of your choice once the map has been done.

At the end of the day, would you not prefer to know what the car is doing on the road. A quick road car is better than having a car that shows the BHP figs for the pub. ;)
I agreed you have to check and test the car on the road.

Are we not talking about tuning for power here?
How can you gauge how much power you've gained when you are on the road?!?
Please don't tell me "use a stopwatch".
You might make gains in some areas and losses in others but still end up with a faster car. No way you can see (and measure!) all gains/losses without a dyno.

Sorry if I sound a bit tense here, not my intention at all.
Happy to debate this all day :)

Btw Stuart, with the right dyno you can do whatever you like ;) :D

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Russs said:
I agreed you have to check and test the car on the road.

Are we not talking about tuning for power here?
How can you gauge how much power you've gained when you are on the road?!?
Please don't tell me "use a stopwatch".
You might make gains in some areas and losses in others but still end up with a faster car. No way you can see (and measure!) all gains/losses without a dyno.

Sorry if I sound a bit tense here, not my intention at all.
Happy to debate this all day :)

Btw Stuart, with the right dyno you can do whatever you like ;) :D
If you are on the road, you can tune to "max" as you can on dyno, so to me it's down to your preferance. To me you get a better map in real time on the road. As I say, you can always gauge the end result with a power run later.

The RR I tried to simulate the road conditions couldn't do it as it was felt that the rollers would be spinning up too fast causing a false reading due to the enertia.

Ok, the dyno can be uselful for power readings but thats really all ( a little bit of fine tuning).

A G meter monitors the speed/time etc thats all indicative to real life scenario, so the time you take on the road to go through the revs is different than on the dyno, so the loading will give false boost at low revs & possibly higher boost levels when holding for a length of time.

Time is important when simulting road/dyno.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts