Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people
I have my car ECUTEKed and i have also had a map tweek done on it subsequently. I am having a bit more work done and so will require another map tweek (yes i know arse about face re modding but jumped in with ECUTEK early on before doing research) :rolleyes:

Now the thing is all ECUTEK work has been carried out by garage "x" this time i fancied trying garage "y" but they informed me that as they did not take out original licence they cannot tweek it and i would have to have a full ECUTEK remap (Full Price)from fresh :( or alternatively go back to garage "x"

They agreed this seemed daft and said they would look into it.
Has anyone else had this or has anyone gone to a different garage for tweek from original remap

Cheers for reading my waffle

Yorki

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
I'm booked in for a remap in 3 weeks from a different garage to the one who origionally done the Ecutek. What your saying is incorrec mate, they're talking ****. Its around £550 for the orig ecutek and then £250 a reflash regardless who does it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
are you sure thats right as i know somebody with a subaru who paid the full price with 1 company then got charged the full price again with another on his next remap.
this is why i havent bought a secondhand ecutek'd ecu as i didn't wanna pointlessly pay full price to have it fine tuned to my car.

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Ant_evo said:
are you sure thats right as i know somebody with a subaru who paid the full price with 1 company then got charged the full price again with another on his next remap.
this is why i havent bought a secondhand ecutek'd ecu as i didn't wanna pointlessly pay full price to have it fine tuned to my car.
No i'm not sure but this wasnt brought to my attention when i booked it elsewhere for a 're-flash'. I better not have to pay £550 again :mad:

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
It depends who owns the license. If, when you had it ecutek'd, the £550 (or whatever) you paid included the license then you can have it mapped anywhere. If the 550 was the tuner just passing the cost onto you and didn't include the license then you'll need to pay full whack again (nice money-spinner, eh?)

Try PMing WRC or someone else who does ecutek on here. There will be a common practice they have to adhere to and should inform you better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree this does not seem right surely once the licence is paid for it is associated with that car or that cars ECU. This could prove a very expensive way to mod a car as, i am sure like me, some go for the ECUTEK as being a very simple and cost effective mod early on. At this rate might as well have gone Motec :eek:

Yorki

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Aidy said:
It depends who owns the license. If, when you had it ecutek'd, the £550 (or whatever) you paid included the license then you can have it mapped anywhere. If the 550 was the tuner just passing the cost onto you and didn't include the license then you'll need to pay full whack again (nice money-spinner, eh?)

Try PMing WRC or someone else who does ecutek on here. There will be a common practice they have to adhere to and should inform you better.
Well it was WRC who done mines origionally and i'm certainly not driving all the way back down there for a cheap re-flash.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ive had my scoob and my evo mapped in teh past-when I went back for "tweeks" I paid for only time on rollers and a bit for mapping!!

BUT-when I enquired with other tuners about tweeking and having bits like a boost controller fitted the "other" tuners ALL said full price again!!!

I doubt many tuners actually register your Map and just take the additional £3-400 for the pocket in teh hope that you only return to them!!

Dont know about ECUTEK's policy on this - probably VERY open to abuse!!!

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
spikelikemike said:
Ive had my scoob and my evo mapped in teh past-when I went back for "tweeks" I paid for only time on rollers and a bit for mapping!!

BUT-when I enquired with other tuners about tweeking and having bits like a boost controller fitted the "other" tuners ALL said full price again!!!

I doubt many tuners actually register your Map and just take the additional £3-400 for the pocket in teh hope that you only return to them!!

Dont know about ECUTEK's policy on this - probably VERY open to abuse!!!
So in theory the new tuner COULD charge you the full whack and be a kn0b or just charge you mapping and RR time if they were sound?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Id say you'll end up paying full whack again matey-may be worth the drive to save a couple of hundred £'s!!!

Best bet is speak to WRC , Im sure they would want the business back and will let u know about how the license works.

I assuem the licence relates to the car and ECU and is only "owned"by the cars owner-but only as long as the car is still yours!

like I said I suspect its a greta way to make £550 for a few hours work!!

So whos signing up for a group buy on "Mapping lessons?"

:crackup:

blair260 said:
So in theory the new tuner COULD charge you the full whack and be a kn0b or just charge you mapping and RR time if they were sound?

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
spikelikemike said:
Id say you'll end up paying full whack again matey-may be worth the drive to save a couple of hundred £'s!!!

Best bet is speak to WRC , Im sure they would want the business back and will let u know about how the license works.

I assuem the licence relates to the car and ECU and is only "owned"by the cars owner-but only as long as the car is still yours!

Count me in :crackup:

Surely the £550 i paid WRC for gave me ownership for my licence therefore i can take my car elsewhere and get it re-flashed for £250. Why by the licence again when i already have it.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
spikelikemike said:

There is no ECU, ecutek is a remap of the standard ECU you already own. The only thing they have to charge you for is the license for the mapping s/w and their labour and experience.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
dont they just "lock it "with a pass word or number like they do with a Motec ect so you cant take it some where else :D

Billy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just sent an email to Mr ECUTEK himself as i dont think paying twice for the licence on the same car/same ecu/same owner is right :tsk:

Yorki

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
yorki said:
I have just sent an email to Mr ECUTEK himself as i dont think paying twice for the licence on the same car/same ecu/same owner is right :tsk:

Yorki
Good stuff, i refuse to pay again. I will be doing a bit of DIY mapping then :crackup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
yorki said:

Yorki
Fair play to ya m8 **** em ive just done the same with Motec

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
When I said ECU meaning the mapping/programming of the ECU ;)

Aidy said:
There is no ECU, ecutek is a remap of the standard ECU you already own. The only thing they have to charge you for is the license for the mapping s/w and their labour and experience.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Once you have an ecutek license on your ecu it doesn't matter who does it. It does not consume another licence however the original Re-Map is not readable by the the new tuner. The original tuner may have a copy of it on there computer. the new tuner will have to start again.

But still it souldn't cost you full up as there is no licence consumed

yorki said:
Hi people
I have my car ECUTEKed and i have also had a map tweek done on it subsequently. I am having a bit more work done and so will require another map tweek (yes i know arse about face re modding but jumped in with ECUTEK early on before doing research) :rolleyes:

Now the thing is all ECUTEK work has been carried out by garage "x" this time i fancied trying garage "y" but they informed me that as they did not take out original licence they cannot tweek it and i would have to have a full ECUTEK remap (Full Price)from fresh :( or alternatively go back to garage "x"

They agreed this seemed daft and said they would look into it.
Has anyone else had this or has anyone gone to a different garage for tweek from original remap

Cheers for reading my waffle

Yorki

·
Registered
513 Posts
That sounds right and on the ECUTEK web site it says

"The first time an EcuTek tuning partner tunes a particular car using the tools, a small license fee is paid to EcuTek. "

I read this with the emphasis on First time i.e. not every time. So presumed you could then go any where - though Matt (above) did mine and personally I'll be sticking with him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts