Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guyz i been reading abit on the forum, this is my first time owning an evo. I have a 1996 evo 4 coming down from japan and i have read that ppl tend to do lots of ecu flashing instead of full standalone units when doing mild mods. Can you guyz help me find the best setup to give the car some peps?

Which ecu will be a direct fit that can be reflashed for my evo 4?
What are the procedures to get it reflashed?
Can i reflash it myself or can i actually send the ecu to a company like vividracing.com and give them the specs of my mods and they can flash the ecu for my mods?
How safe is flashing the ecu and remapping it, is it worth the hastle or should i just get an emanage ultimate?
What will be an appropiate set of mods to see my evo 4 around 300 - 350 bhp?
Anyone ever used vividracing.com to reflash their ecus and wats your feedback of them?

Sorry for all the long post but just want some opinions from you guyz to start proceeding with my modding when it reaches. The mods that will be coming with the vehicle are full 3 " exaust from cat back, RSR exhaust, boost controller, the engine will be fairly stock no set of mods.

Thanks much in advance
Richard

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
you are from a great part of the world!!!

ECU flash doesn't work on the 4 ecu though. you will have to upgrade to a 5,6 or 7 Ecu to do Flashing.

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
The best option for an E4 at the moment is to fit an E7 ECU and then you can get all the benefits of ECUFlash.

The flashing is as safe as you make it and will depend a lot on who is carrying it out.

The procedure is that you will need a cable to flash the ECU and it is also very advisable to also invest in a wideband lambda sensor and a set of det cans to monitor what's going on in the engine.

Andy

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
as stated already the e4 ecu is not capable of being remapped.the greddy ultimate is a very capable unit has all the features a standalone ecu has without the cost.i found the data logger was very good on it.they are fiddly to fit as it needs to be spliced into the original ecu wiring.imo go for a 7 ecu.

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
At the present time you can flash the all the Evo's with the Tactrix Openport 2 cable. There is a small issue with flashing the V and VI ECU at present but this is about to be fixed.
The biggest problem is the lack of logging software available using this hardware. You really need this if you plan on doing any modifications to you're current setup.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sorry to jump in. but im looking into re flashing my e4, i have already got a e6 ecu and supporting bits. need to know which cable to buy and is it ok for diagnostic scanning on mine eg. ayc, abs
need to also park stepper motor and set the idle speed properly.
thanks

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
To map a V or VI you need to use an Openport 2 cable, this is not supported at present in Evoscan to no base idle setting, logging etc.
There is a small problem with flashing at the minute, but this should soon be resolved.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so let me get this right... it is recommended to get the evo 7/8 ecu for my evo 4 right and then i can have it flashed? Will it plug directly into my ecu harness without any modification/s or will i need to make some wire changes? also do i need to like get the injectors and other bits to go along with the ecu to make the tune a success? Also which version of the evo 7/8 ecu do i need?

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
The V and VI ECU are a direct fit, the VII and VIII 260 ECU require a few wiring changes.
You can have any of them EcuTek'd or Ecuflashed, but only the VII and VIII 260 ECU can have the SAS activated using Ecuflash.
Fitting any later ECU will require you to fit 560cc injectors from a later car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts