Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Well, my outside tempereture sensor has been bleeping enough recently to remind me that it is very cold outside now and that winter is really here so im gonna service it to help it through the cold :) just wondering what plugs and oil it likes best (what do you all use?) and if there is anything extra to look out for on evos compared to normal cars .
It is an evo 2 by the way.

Thanks,
Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jon,

The plugs are cheap NGK BP6ES (less then two quid each)

Oil is recommended as 10W30 but I run my EVO 1 on 10W40 Castrol Magnatec for Advanced engines - you need about 4 litres. If you go for a 5W** or less you'll not be protecting the engine properly as the oil is too thin - you'll also get the dreaded tappet rattle.

Oil filter is listed as early 90's Gallant 2.0 4G63 engines at the motor-factor (Fram filter PH5343 - £6) although I know a member of this board is running the larger filter from the new Gallant V6.

Air filter is a Mitsi item but I'm running an aftermarket panel filter by 'JR'. It was only just over £20 and is similar to a K and amp;N (Blue rather than red)

Fuel filter is a Mitsi item (£20) and a bugger to fit.

That's the basics but I would recommend you go for the transmission oils also unless they have been done recently (gearbox, transfer box and rear diff) They use Castrol Syntrans and you'll need 4 litres of this at £9.50 a litre.

That should be enough to get you through the winter ;)

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh sorry,

i forgot to ask what mileage the dreaded timing belt has to be changed, only when the car is cold the belt rattles until the engine is warmed up, im hoping its not the timing belt! i assume its a v.big job

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jon,

I think the timing belt is at about 60K. I changed mine at 55K for piece of mind and the two belts I took off looked okay but still not worth the risk. Without VAT the belts are £60 cam belt and £15 balance shaft belt. Fitting is fairly straight forward if you're used to doing this sort of thing - it took me 3 hours which isn't bad.

If you do a search for 'special tools' under the engine section there is a link to a DSM site which has the procedure for changing the belt - easy to follow.

Why do you think the belt is rattling? I suppose it could be a fraying belt but fairly unlikely. If you want to check belt condition and tension you can take the top 3 10mm bolts from the top part of the belt cover and check it out. It's not just the dreaded tappet rattle you're hearing because your oil has thinned out is it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i think youre right mark, the belt lookes to be in v.good condition. my mechanic/dad checked it today, so that would suggest the oil is in need of a change then. As you can proably tell, im not very technically minded yet, but im learning all the time:)

Im not too sure about the mileage on mine as it has been converted to mph, does that mean that the clock has been converted as well? at the moment im on either 56,000 kms or miles (hopefully its kms, that would make it only about 30k something miles) but anyway as you say, its worth changing the belts for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.