Lancer Register Forum banner

Early Evos rock!

• Yes

Votes: 64 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • I'm Moses and don't understand the question.

Votes: 12 13.8%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sorted out a few bits and bobs on my car in the last few weeks and by God, does it feel good now! It wasn't exactly bad before but it's running really sweetly now. Found out I had a slight boost leak that was costing a bit of spoolup, now the car produces + boost from as low as 2500rpm and is pulling nicely from just over 3000rpm. Taking it out for a good run last weekend made me realise again quite why I bought one. I had been thinking that it really wasn't what I was looking for nowadays, but then all I was doing was trundling up and down to Sainsbury's and the odd trip to Ikea, so the stiff ride and abysmal economy were all that seemed to matter. Stretching it's legs and fully exploring the level of performance made me realise again what a bloody good car it is.

I know there are other high performance cars you can buy for under £6k, but do any tick as many boxes as an Evo?

Fast? For sure, by almost any measure.
Practical? Four doors, five seats and a useable boot says so.
Reliable? Almost ridiculously so, and especially when compared to obvious rivals like early WRXes and GTI-Rs.
Value for money? Certainly, when the above are taken into account.
Good looking? OK, we may be pushing things a bit but a III (or a I tarted up to look like a III ;)) certainly has an undeniable presence.
Cheap to run? Who cares?!

As if to confirm this, I had a wee play with a couple of decent motors today. The first was a E46 M3, we both caned it off a roundabout onto a motorway, there really wasn't anything in it; I had the early advantage upto about 70mph, he slowly clawed back some ground after that until we both lifted off. I was nice to get a flash and a wave when I turned off onto the M9 :) Then I had a couple of sprints with an ML55 up a bypass, I was struggling to get traction in the sodden conditions off a roundabout at 50mph :eek: but was all over his lardy ass once the squirming had stopped, I would've passed him but the bugger wouldn't pull over :)

I've now had a chance to imbibe a few cervezas so a day that looked like being a total washout (see my weather thread from earlier on) has actually turned into a good day :)

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
To be totally honest after parting with the IV we were thinking now of getting an earlier model as well as the mak, its just a personal preference there is just "something" about them, Wanderers was a beauty :cry: Duncans is a classic I am so glad you never sold it :D

I have only seen Gordons on pics but it too looks :cool:

heres Dmacs :D

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
totally agree, I always used to be in awe of the later models but the more and more I drive mine (like a Demented tiger) and the more I look at it (especially with the new wheels) the more I think that Early Evo's truly are the dogs nuts ;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sshhhh guys and girls or everyone will want one and the prices will go up before I get sorted.

gotta agree though I love the Mak's but the early ones realy light my fire

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
what can i say but at the rallycross today more people looked at my car than the tme parked next to me and as usual i was the only clasic there not like the common or garden e6 :D

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Voted.
The early Evo's have that little somthing about them. I always liked the 4's but there is no going back for use now. We will stick with our one.

Heres a pic of two E1's taken over the easter wkend.

(edited to say)
Ours is the one on the left. With our son Zack.
And the one on the right is a friend of ours Rob who had to buy one after a ride in ours. He got the bug very quickly. And he has never looked back.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What can I say. :crackup:

My fave is GSR Geoff's III, if he still has it. If only I had III money at the time I bought my one. What a cool looking car that is!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts