Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone tell me the EXACT difference between e 1 2 and 3 struts and arms please. Free mouldy mars bar the the winner.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As far as I know the E1 has a norrower track than the E2/3, Also the front anti-roll bar is fixed to the struts on the E2/3 rather than to the wishbone as it is on the 1800GSR and E1. I think they changed it to reduce understeer. As for spring and damping rates, well I haven't a clue:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E1 front arms are standard pressed steel, antiroll bar is attached by a small rod with rubber bushes to the wishbone side. Struts are normal McPherson type. rear top links are pressed steel U shape, bottom arms are pressed steel.
E2 and E3 use a cast bottom arm at the front and the anti-roll bar is attached to the strut housing, not the wishbone by a longer, more solid rod. The e2/e3 struts are slightly longer. Not sure by how much but I have E2/3 strus on mine and E1 struts in the garage (off the car). I understand (but have not been able to look at one to confirm) than the rear links were also changed to cast items at the rear.
As a result the E2/3 has a wider track at the front and rear AND the front has more castor and had a change in camber from 0degrees (E1) to 1degree-ish.
The E3 also had a slightly smaller front anti-roll bar fitted.

I have no information on spring rates, sadly.
I know that E 2/3 front wishbones will fit onto the E1 - you will however neeed the additional anti-roll bar links etc to mount it to an E2/3 strut. I've not heard of anyone changing the rear links to E2/3 items on their 1.
I have a picture somewhere of the E1 and E2/3 front arms on a car if you want.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to add what I know (not much :()
E1
Front
Toe-in |EQU| 0mm
Camber |EQU| 0°00'
Castor |EQU| 2°10'
King Pin Inclination |EQU| 12°40'
Anti-roll bar |EQU| 23mm dia
Rear
Toe-in |EQU| 3mm
Camber |EQU| -0°40'
Anti-roll bar|EQU| 18mm dia

E2/E3
Front
Toe-in |EQU| 0mm
Camber |EQU| -0°50'
Castor |EQU| 3°55'
King Pin Inclination |EQU| 12°55'
Anti-roll bar |EQU| 16mm dia
Rear
Toe-in |EQU| 3mm
Camber |EQU| -0°55'
Anti-roll bar|EQU| 18mm dia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know of at least one place that will have the cast arms from the Evo 2/3 available (second hand) as well as numerous other E3 suspension parts (second hand). The cast arms will boltstraight on but you will need the later Evo anti-roll bar |PLS| mountings to mate up.
Alternativley you could fabricate a bracket to mount the original Evo 1 anti-roll bar to the cast arms (I have a photo showing such a bracket available)
Obviously, fitting the cast bottom wishbones alters the front geometry to that of a 2/3 (ie increased camber, increased castor). Still not enough camber however, Cusco do spherical bearing top mounts that are fully camber adjustable and fir the Evo 1 2 and 3. (all the same)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts