Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the E5's were subject to an AYC recall a couple of years back. I know that my car was affected, 'cos there is a letter from CCC regarding this in with the crap that came with the car.

I don't know whether it was done. I can't find contact details for the former owner. Should there be anything (sticker perhaps) on the car to indicate it was done.

Does anyone know exactly what the recall was for?

Does anyone know how I can find out? Do I contact CCC, Mitsi dealer, Ralliart (the car of course is a grey)?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
andy,your not the only one who has never been notified.i know all the history since my car was brought in by ralliart,the first owner was my old boss and he has never recieved any notification on any recall unless they sorted it out when he took it in for a service and did'nt tell him.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
There is a product recall that affects certain numbers of Evo 4 and amp; 5 GSR models where the AYC ECU was found to have a faulty program and therefore requires replacement. In extreme circumstances the faulty program can lead to failure of the AYC diff. To find out if your car is one that is affected and what you should do then you should contact Colt Car Company Customer Services quoting your VIN number. If you have just bought an Evo 4 or 5 then they should also be able to tell you if your car has had the AYC ECU replaced previously under the recall.
Colt Car Company UK can be contacted on 01285 655777 (fax: 01285 658026)
The Colt Car Company Ltd,
Watermoor,
Cirencester,
Gloucs.
GL7 1LF
(This applies to the UK only. People outside the UK should consult the official Mitsubishi/Ralliart importer for their country.)

By the way if anyone has the list of VIN/Chassis numbers of the cars effected then please email me the details, thanks.

...also one for Elvis or possibly Black Knight, is it possible to tell by looking at the AYC ECU if it is a good one? (e.g. specific identifications stamped on the replacement ones?)

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Andy,

If you e-mail me your chassis I will check if the ecu was changed in the morning,

We have just had a 5 that we did the recall on straight away the customer had a noisy rear end,

He came in first because he had heard about the recall, we found out it had not been done and changed the ecu, it turned out to have AYC damage which must have been done a long time ago,which only appeared when we put a working ECU on the car.

He still thought the car handled well without ayc (which it does).

Possible big bill coming, anyone got any suggestions?

Tony

Colin, I will try to check other things in the morning

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
The modification was done by Ralliart on my V months ago.They originally had 50 new ECU`s and amp; only replaced them on cars they had sold.
ie, through Global.Took them ages to do and amp; they didn`t even give me anything to show it had been done, so I asked them to make a note in the back of the service book.
P.S. I had to nag them to do it, they didn`t contact me!

Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Pondy,
VIN is your Chassis Number as it appears on the bulkhead, e.g for an E4 it will be CN9A-0100001 and onwards, for an E5 it will be CP9A-0000001 and onwards. It should appear on your reg document.

Tony,
Thanks again for your help.
I guess that any Mitsubishi dealer will have access to the recall list then? Basically what I am trying to say is people can either check their cars out with CCC Customer Services or any Mitsubishi dealer?

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
They should be able to check them with any mitsi dealer or ccc, if it has been done already there should be a black dot next to the serial number on the ecu.

tony

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't the CP9A******** the engine number?

Anyway whatever it is, I'll mail it to Black Knight!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Tony,

You have mail (on your tesco account), I could not reply to the dealership email address (it was returned).

Thanx,

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Pondy,
CP9A ******* is the Production/Chassis/VIN number. The engine is of type 4G63 and the engine number will be in the form of 2 letters and four numbers e.g. AB1234.

The four characters preceeding the actual production number describe the vehicle and is decoded as:

The first character stands for the Car Family series:
C |EQU| LANCER
The second character stands for the Vehicle Type and is mainly related to the wheelbase and track:
D |EQU| Evo 1 (and probably pre 1996 1800GSR)
E |EQU| Evo 2/3
M |EQU| Lancer 1800GSR (1996 on)
N |EQU| Evo 4
P |EQU| Evo 5/6 and amp; TME
T |EQU| Evo 7
The third character stands for the Engine size:
5 |EQU| 1,800cc (4G93)
9 |EQU| 2,000cc (4G63)
The forth character stands for the Sort:
A |EQU| Passenger Car

Then you get onto the model and variants which is another 4 letter code and is decoded thus:
The first character stands for the Body Type:
S |EQU| 4-door sedan
The second character stands for the Transmission Type:
N |EQU| 5 speed manual transmission
The third character stands for the Equipment class:
D |EQU| RS spec
G |EQU| GSR spec
The forth character stands for the Engine Specification:
F |EQU| DOHC; MPI; Turbocharger; Intercooler

So an Evo 5/6 and amp; TME GSR will be described on the VIN plate as:
CP9A SNGF

Out of interest can anyone with an RS2 (RSX will do) tell me the model and variant code that appears on your VIN plate (the SNGF bit. I guess G may be replaced with something else, perhaps E or F)?

...and then there is type classification depending on the equipment fitted but that is another story :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Pondy

Your car is subject to the recall and has not been done yet.

most mitsi dealers should be able to do it with no problems.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Tony,

Thanks for all your help. Will ring Oxford Mitsubishi (ralliart dealer) tomorrow. Do I presume this should still be done for free?

HH6,

I'm gonna call you 'The Oracle' from now on! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Tony,

Just another quickie. Once the AYC ecu has been changed, how will I know if the ayc is operating correctly, or not? What sort of noise should it make? What are the chances of it being damaged? I have not noticed any noise from the ayc since I've had the car (Sept2001).

Thanx for the help. This site alone is worth £2 a month!!!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Heave Ho,
I would give you details of mine but it's all been scratched off and covered over. Should I be worried? ;)

Seriously though, it starts CP9AX and I'll get the rest of it later on

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
You will know straight away if the diff is damaged,
any corner or weaving side to side you will get a loud (very) grinding noise.

Hope its ok.

Tony

1 - 20 of 35 Posts