Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you please explain the difference betwen rolling road and 4wd dyno. I notice you guys talk about 280 to 300 hp from a stock 7 on the rolloing road. On a 4wd dyno over here in Australia, a Evo 7 has about 150 kw( about 200 hp)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No difference!
The only difference is that our antipodean friends quote power at the wheels from R/R and 4WD dynos (hence 200bhp) and us lot back over in Europe quote power at the flywheel (hence 280bhp|PLS|).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We tend to quote estimated power at the flywheel... I think I might stick to just wheel figures, as they seem more relevant to roadgoing performance anyway.

And there's less argument on wheel hp/torque than on the calculations used to get the estimated flywheel hp anyway ;)

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when you put your car on a rr,it gives you a power at the wheels figure and you guess its flywheel power. Whats the point of that? You are guessing its driveline powerloss. Generally speaking a 4wd with over 130 kw at all 4 wheels, has got some boogie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... and there's absolutely no point even knowing the flywheel power 'cos it's not the flywheel power that makes the car go forward (it's wheel power believe it or not :D )

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Road Dyno

It looks like it measures acceleration (by monitoring road speed through the pickup in the wheelarch) and engine speed (from the coil) and then simply calculates the power based on acceleration, car weight and aerodyamics.

You could probably get as good a peak power measurement from an AP22 meter or similar as long as you do the test in 1st or 2nd (to reduce wind resistance effects).

Still reasonable value for £85.00 though.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree that power at the wheels figures are the ones to go by. I think you will find flywheel power is used at R/R's as manufacturers quote it, just telling it how it is I ain't saying it's right way to do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend of mine races an EVO 6 in GTP racing in Australia. He also has been a development technition at Mitsubishi Aust. There have been several EVO 7's privately imported in the last couple of months for GTP racing as well. My friend was helping to set one of them up on a dyno and then at the track. He can reflash the Evo computers with race specs he got from Japan. He got an extra 20kw at the wheels on the stock VII he was setting up. Thats pretty impressive stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts