Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when your backing up your movies, movies that you own and have paid for already etc...

What custom size do you back up to?

And is there a minimum size you shrink to, to keep them OK quality?

I've been backing up at a size of 3900 mb

Also, is there a better free program than DVD shrink?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I never asked if it were legal.

Who is to say i'm not backing up my home movies...... because i never said either way.

I re-ask my question and hope some one other that Aidy takes the time to answer.

:moon:

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
nyscooby said:
I never asked if it were legal.

Who is to say i'm not backing up my home movies...... because i never said either way.

I re-ask my question and hope some one other that Aidy takes the time to answer.
why would you pay for your home movies ?

eg earlier you said "have paid for already"

:p

anyway here is a link to a site which has all the info you'll need about things like that :

http://www.doom9.org/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The huge cast of extras i employ in our epic productions runs up a small amount......

Whatever, anyway...

4.4gb is quite large, as most discs loose quality at the outer edge of the disc at fast speeds, thus the smaller the back up size the slower the disc has to spin.....

I just want to know if anyone uses a min amount smaller than me.

By the way, i dont back up movies, ever, this is just a hypo question on the basis of what if.

And also, just for good measure....

SHUT UP AIDY.......... :blah: :blah:

I'm sure i'm not the first today who has said this to him, his Thia internet bride probably has said it, or the social worker, maybe his alter ego tells hims. ;)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
re: losing quality near the outer edge of the disc, I found since I switched to RITEK based media I've had no failures over 4GB which I previously had with some cheaper / generic media

Perhaps your problems have been down to the choice of DVD media ?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I set mine to 4.3GB to be on the safe side, and like above use Ritek disks,you can aswell use dual layer if your software and writer support it.

I use DVD Decrypter to rip the original
and DVd2one to shrink to any size.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Forgot Dual Layer means it will hold twice the Media, 8.5GB a bit more money but you can rip a movies and burn it to disk without any quality loss.
Also some rippers allow you to take out the menu and language pack plus 2 channel stereo or DTS.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Re: Re: DVD Shrink experts

Aidy said:
That's still illegal. Hard luck :)
Last time i looked your were allowed 1 back up copy, aslong as you own the original.
unless thats changed.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DVD Shrink experts

FoZzY said:
Last time i looked your were allowed 1 back up copy, aslong as you own the original.
unless thats changed.
Yes, it has changed. It is now illegal to make any copies regardless. However the people that oversee the law have said they will turn a blind eye to legitimate copying. The law is really there to stop mass pirating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts