Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Sp 9000 or whatever they are called? Ralliart Germany told me they were good. But then again, Ralliart Germany recommend Pirelli PZero rosso as well...
Anyway, if you have tried them or know of someone who's tried them, let us know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have them on my 17 inchers now

they suck big time
the rubber wears very fast on other edges
the tire has no grip compared to the assimetrico

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andre

Thanks a lot! That's what i thought, good to get confirmation from you. Maybe you should get new front tires and keep them in the back :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andre

Thanks a lot! That's what i thought, good to get confirmation from you. Maybe you should get new front tires and keep them in the back :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I had SP9000's on my previous car (Nissan Pulsar GTiR) and I thought they were fantastic, much better than the Yoko A520's and Falkens I had on before. The SP9000's were also rated no1 tyre in a test in Revs magazine a few years ago (tested by race driver Dave Clarke)

Hope this helps

Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simon

what car have you got and how do you drive it? Andre seems to be driving seriously on the track, trying out brake pads and melting discs. I'm not trying to find out about longevity or comfort, just want to know if they will melt under hard conditions as all the tires I've tried so far, or that scoobymike / MAXI have tried, as Bridgestones, Pirellis etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these dunlop 9000 wear faster than anything i have ever tried on 15 september those 9000 go to ring after that i can throw them away

the best i have had are

1 pirelli assimetrico (down side is they tend to understeer a bit more)
2 bridgestone so2 (lots of grip but if the tire get really hot they wear even faster.)

gerrit is testing the conti sport contact 2 he drives a lot on the n ring so we have to wait for that one

ps i drove 11 years karting
1 year formula ford
2 year formula renault
and since 4 years i pretend to be tommi makkingen :D

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did 7 laps on the Ring with my new Conti`s. It was wet; so far so good. What made a big difference was that I changed the camber to -2.5° at the front! From -1.5°. And I put stiffer springs up front as well (extra 10 kg: from 70 to 80) for my KW/Ralliart suspension kit. It handles much better now. Much less understeer, although more twitchy with regard to sudden oversteer. Running the rear spoiler at it steepest angle to reduce oversteer at higher speeds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, fück the SP9000, I heard from some one else they suck big time.

So, Gerrit, let's know how the Conti's are on the dry. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1's? When I asked the tyre shop man whet he would recommend he suggested them. Tread pattern looked good in wet (apparently based on F1 wet weather tyres) but no big blocks for good dry grip and rather rounded shoulders. They were also cheaper than so2 which makes me wonder. I suggested to tyre man that Goodyear did not make performance tyres to which he responded I've fitted them to cars that would run rings around an evo and had no complaints . I simply raise one eyebrow hmmm .

Also has anyone tried Yokohama S1-Z these are about the same price as so2?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and by the way Claudius they were fitting some Dunlop SP 9000 to an M3 convertible.

I didn't realise you came all the way to Yeovil to get your tryes done :);):).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claudius,

its a crappy town in south west of england where i work. I had assumed the car was yours as I know you like M3's alot:)

I take it from your comment on the s1-z means that they are too soft and wore like a .... well something that wears out fast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear All,

I read once in a magazine a few years ago on tyre comparison test and Dunlop SP9000 came out first in terms of comfort and noise level was lowest. Among others in the comparison were Eagle F1, Falken GRB RS Tune, Potenza, Yoko A520 and some other not so popular brands.

In my opinion, SO2 and Pirelli P-Zero are in different league. Soft compound tyres are more suitable for everyday driving on highways and normal road. Take them to the track and they wear out fairly quick. But, they are quiet and provide decent grip for normal use. SO2 and P-Zero are high speed rated and very expensive, at least in where I live. Falken came out with new set called Azenis. Price so-so but wear out fast. Decent grip though.

Why don't you guys to frequent the tracks keep two sets of tyres. One for normal use and one for track use. That way, you might lengthen the life of normal use tyres. But then have to have two sets of wheels too huh?

Funny nobody mentioned Michelin?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just on the subject of tyres, has anyone fitted 235/45 tyres to 17 x7.5 (standard offset for evos) compared to the normal 225/45.
Does it cause any problems or would it increase grip?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Humble

Nobody mentions Michelin because they su.. di.. My father has them on his Alpina B10 and they are the worst I have ever tried, except Hancook or sthg maybe.

Oli

You got me wrong there, the Yoko S1-z were ok, but lasted really long on the M3 3,2l (20,000kms in the back!!!) but I have to say I replace them after you legally have to. Strange however given the fact I was sliding all over the place. All my friends say they have never been that much sideways that often for so long all the time as with me in the M3. And there is a lot of guys with powerful RWD cars here...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Claudius,

Thanks for telling me. But I've seen some Michelin on some Bimmers as standard tyres, that's why I thought they have some good performance tyres comparable to P-Zero. Anyway, not planning to use Michelin either, better off with Potenza SO-2 or even Eagle-F1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the F1s on my Golf VR6, they made horrible noise and were not that good, but OK in the wet. Forget them for the Evo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having used the Potenza SO-2 on other cars, I chose them for my 7 Extreme. Too early to tell what they are like but I doubt I will be unhappy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naturally, with all the horses behind the 4G63, we need a really good set of rubbers. I will keep these in mind for future reference. How about Toyo?? Any experience?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts