Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im after getting a EVO 9 and iv been told different things about Dump valves ( blow off type)

Can anyone tell me if its true that to run one you are actually running your car under its standard boost ??

any info would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
not true wont increase or decrease your boost at all.

aps do a good dual port one which works as a recirc on low boost (like ur standard one) and blow off to atmosphere at higher boost.

thus preventing poor idle which can so often efect evos.

price bout 125 quid from wrc tech or extreme. that swhat i got sat in my workshop waiting for my ix to arrive lol

plus a few other choice bits lol

quality of aps stuff is 1st class

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I would go for APS as well as it feeds some air back into MAF sensor so you shouldnt get any idling problems. Quite quiet though if you after the noise. You dont really need one until your running over 350bhp + though

Matt
:)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
just got a viii said:
not true wont increase or decrease your boost at all.
Not quite true. If your std dump valve is leaking then you may actually increase your boost level by fitting an aftermarket valve with a stronger spring.

Andy

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
AndyF_RSX said:
Not quite true. If your std dump valve is leaking then you may actually increase your boost level by fitting an aftermarket valve with a stronger spring.

Andy
Bex car running 360bhp feels noticably stronger with the APS fitted now and throttle response in 4th and 5th is greater as well :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what iv read online some people are saying you only NEED a Dump valve if you are Running a lot more boost than standard as the standard "waste gate" will protect your engine and recirulate the air back into the turbo ???

To get a standard evo to use a dump valve it must be ran at less than the normal boost to work with a Blow off valve ... ??

I'm a bit gutted about the lack of "whoosh" from the standard car .... i take it they still sounds mint though ...

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
silki said:
from what iv read online some people are saying you only NEED a Dump valve if you are Running a lot more boost than standard as the standard "waste gate" will protect your engine and recirulate the air back into the turbo ???
Not correct, the dump valve and wastegate do 2 completely separate things. The wastegate controls the boost level, the dump valve prevents a reverse flow of air getting back into the compressor wheel of the turbo and slowing it down.

To get a standard evo to use a dump valve it must be ran at less than the normal boost to work with a Blow off valve ... ??
Blow off valve = dump valve so this sentence doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I'm a bit gutted about the lack of "whoosh" from the standard car .... i take it they still sounds mint though ...
If you are so gutted about it then buy an afternamarket dump valve and you won't be as gutted.

Andy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Leonard said:
Bex car running 360bhp feels noticably stronger with the APS fitted now and throttle response in 4th and 5th is greater as well :)
So you found that out whilst cleaning the Besi the other night did you naughty boy ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got to admit to being a little underwhelmed by the noises from mine too!

I've got very little whoosh or chuff! :D

I drove it this week a couple of times with the windows down and you can just hear a little whoosh - particularly down narrow streets!

Last year I had an FTO with the V6 Mivec and ITG induction - now that did sound good - still no whoosh or chuff but loads of gnarrrr!

:crackup:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
lighty said:
So you found that out whilst cleaning the Besi the other night did you naughty boy ;)
Need to practice for the Nurburgring :D ;)

Matt
:p

And on the subject of BOV's just buy the APS one it adds a little noise, doesnt cause any idling probs and improves performance if you ever increase the boost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ill try again with this one ... in English this time though ....

To get a BOV to work on a standard EVO, the car must be running at less than its standard boost levels ??? this is what my local Mitsi Dealership has told me yesterday ......

In an ideal world id mod it to f**k and be ruining lots of bhp but with warranty's and the possibility that it will be leased anyway it will be standard ... well however "standard" an evo can be at least .... :)

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
silki said:
To get a BOV to work on a standard EVO, the car must be running at less than its standard boost levels ??? this is what my local Mitsi Dealership has told me yesterday ......
No, that is incorrect. Remember, most Mitsubishi salesmen exhaust their technical knowledge getting their Weetabix box open in the morning...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts