Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hi ronin
It could be anti roll bar bushes,drop link or the dreded heical bolts.
See promax £210.27 inc vat pluss the bolts wich i bought from extreme for £10.00
The price also includes the diff oil.
Hope this helps
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had the drop links done a couple of weeks ago at promax, the noise seemed to have stopped, then at the weekend a bl**dy irregular knocking, going in for the bushes next week :cry:

hopefully that will solve it. It's really odd sometimes the noise doesn't happen for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden it starts up :confused:

hope your cars going well, good to see you at the meet the other week :p

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:
you would be welcome, the roads are still there :D

& once my knocking stops i'll have to test the car again :crackup:

yhpm
Okay. if you can do this yourself then give it a go, take the wheel off the side which makes the most noise, from there check your bushes first with a large screw driver, do this by wedging it in between the arms where the bush is and push the screwdriver up and down or left and right, if the bush stays fairly stiff then it should be okay but if it moves quite a bit then the chances are it's that. If the bushes are okay then the next thing I reckon is the shock obsorber, one easy thing to check is the adjusters, if you have them, make sure they are tight, mine you adjust by using a screw driver and a hammer, by tapping in the slots to make them go around, they screw up or down the shaft of the shock. If this isn't it, the only other thing I can think of is the top mounts, this you can only really tell by taking the shocker out and examining the top of it.

There is only one way to be sure of LSD bolts, it only happens when turning right at a fairly slow speed and from the outside it can be heard coming from the right wheel arch.

Would be interesting to know what it is.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Slaine said:
Okay. if you can do this yourself then give it a go, take the wheel off the side which makes the most noise, from there check your bushes first with a large screw driver, do this by wedging it in between the arms where the bush is and push the screwdriver up and down or left and right, if the bush stays fairly stiff then it should be okay but if it moves quite a bit then the chances are it's that. If the bushes are okay then the next thing I reckon is the shock obsorber, one easy thing to check is the adjusters, if you have them, make sure they are tight, mine you adjust by using a screw driver and a hammer, by tapping in the slots to make them go around, they screw up or down the shaft of the shock. If this isn't it, the only other thing I can think of is the top mounts, this you can only really tell by taking the shocker out and examining the top of it.

There is only one way to be sure of LSD bolts, it only happens when turning right at a fairly slow speed and from the outside it can be heard coming from the right wheel arch.

Would be interesting to know what it is.
And ..... it's LOUD!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quantify loud :confused:

if it was the lsd bolts would it be intermittent, or all the time?

mine deffo commes & goes, the service guy at my local mitsi dealer ( :help: reckons its sounds like the bushes, he reckoned it was poss for the anti-roll bar to move slightly, therefore sometimes knoking sometimes not :confused:

the drop links were definitely worn when they came off, and I thought it had all gone quiet, but then it started again.

the noise when it does happen seem s to come from the left wheel area, though when driving its definitely hard to tell.

as & when sorted will post cure :p or if I'm bankrupt by then you can read it on my headstone :eek:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:

mine deffo commes & goes, the service guy at my local mitsi dealer ( :help: reckons its sounds like the bushes, he reckoned it was poss for the anti-roll bar to move slightly, therefore sometimes knoking sometimes not :confused:

the drop links were definitely worn when they came off, and I thought it had all gone quiet, but then it started again.

the noise when it does happen seem s to come from the left wheel area, though when driving its definitely hard to tell.

as & when sorted will post cure :p or if I'm bankrupt by then you can read it on my headstone :eek:
Right, the easiest way to rule out lsd bolts is that the knock will:
a. only occure on a right slow turn.
b. will be related to the rotation of the wheel/drive shaft, not, up and down motion from bumps in the road.

If it only knocks on bumps then you have a similar problem to me, which I'm trying to solve now without spending 5 billion quid on drop links!!! :) Even though I know they are gone. :(

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:

Plus, on the right turn if it is lsd bolts the knock will NOT go away until you straighten up again, and it will do it every time you turn the wheel right.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slaine said:
Plus, on the right turn if it is lsd bolts the knock will NOT go away until you straighten up again, and it will do it every time you turn the wheel right.
no it doesn't do it every time I turn the wheel right.

it also seems bump related, drop links didn't cure mine, so I will get promax to check the bushes before just replacing them.

had new front shocks about 2 years ago, top mounts? would that be sporadic?

as soon as I do get to the bottom of it I'll let you know :D The drop links were about £90+vat, bushes only £14, but then you add the labour :cry:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:
no it doesn't do it every time I turn the wheel right.

it also seems bump related, drop links didn't cure mine, so I will get promax to check the bushes before just replacing them.

had new front shocks about 2 years ago, top mounts? would that be sporadic?

as soon as I do get to the bottom of it I'll let you know :D The drop links were about £90+vat, bushes only £14, but then you add the labour :cry:
Cool, probably just a bush or two out!! ;)

Which is also good for me too, I'm just popping out to check my front bushes now ...... :D

Top mounts, not much of an expert really, sometimes is related to hard turning, might hear a occasional *THUMP* from the corner in question, or perhaps a grind. Dunno, anyone else hear know??

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slaine said:
Cool, probably just a bush or two out!! ;)

Which is also good for me too, I'm just popping out to check my front bushes now ...... :D

Top mounts, not much of an expert really, sometimes is related to hard turning, might hear a occasional *THUMP* from the corner in question, or perhaps a grind. Dunno, anyone else hear know??
Let me know what state your bushes look in, will be interesting to know, if it is just that on mine It will be a relief :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:
Let me know what state your bushes look in, will be interesting to know, if it is just that on mine It will be a relief :D
Can't really see anything wrong with them! :( There are only three bushes on the front arm, 2 inner and one outer connecting to the wheel assembly. All seem okay?

The only thing on mine is that the drop link moves a lot, as in
I can twist it with my fingers. Which I knew about.

So really it just goes to show that knocks can be a mutitude of things. Trouble is there are not enough people helping, might be due to trade secrets ;)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
RONIN said:
Oh, and I've already had my anti-roll bar bush checked so it can't be that, might want to squidge under your car and check that one too! :wave:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts