Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
When I lift my foot off of the accelerator at 20-30 mph I can hear a droning / rumbling noise (for want of better words) coming form the front of my Evo 6 GSR. Think the noise is there all of the time but it's not apparent when my foot's on the throttle or at higher speeds (may be the road / induction noise drowning it out). Any idea anyone? The car's done 12k miles. Thanks in anticipation.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
This sounds like a possible gearbox bearing noise. Does it make a noise with clutch disengaged and in neutral?
Does it only make this noise at the speeds you have mentioned or does it make the noise when you lift off at any speed?
Does it just make this noise when you lift off at low revs?
Is it a droning noise or a rumble?
Have you got an uprated clutch fitted?
I know you have only done 12K but if it has been driven hard and never had the gearbox oil changed then the gearbox could be the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
The car has the standard clutch. I'd describe the noise as a drone. The noise is still there in neutral and with the clutch disengaged. Think the noise is present at higher speeds but the road / induction noise drowns it out. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Did cross my mind but I thought 'surely not after 12k miles'. Car's in for a service tomorrow so I'll hopefully find out then.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Could easily be a bearing. I've gone through a full set on all 4 wheels, in 32K miles.

First one went at @ 12K.

Other thing that occurred - output shaft bearing on the Gearbox. The metal gets pitted and it creates a vibration you can feel through the pedals. That also went about 12K miles. £32 for the bearing, £600 to find and fix it!

BUT - might just be the tyres! I changed from SO1s to SO3s when the old set wore out and boy is it less noisy!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Considering the noise when stationery and in neutral, I don't think the noise is likely to be wheel bearing even though they do tend wear quite easily. I think you have got a noisey input shaft front bearing, quite a common problem even after such a short mileage(have you ever had the gearbox oil changed?)
Ask them to do a roadtest and change the gearbox oil for you when you take it in for a service.

PS. I hope it doesn't cost you to much money for a fix!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
FAVile,

the noise isn't present when the car is stationary but if I put the car into neutral and coast the noise is still present.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Now I think we are getting somewhere.
What type of tyres are you running?
If it's SO1 then they are probably getting to the end of their life at 12000k(if they haven't gone already).
When SO1 tyres get low on tread they do tend make a droning noise, very similar to a noisey wheel bearing.
If you have SO1's check the tread depth and wear etc. if they are less than 3mm then I would suggest replacing them.
They also to tend to loose a little bit of shape as well when the start to wear so check to see if the tread is lifting on the edges.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks FAVile, they don't appear to be too worn, but I'll check them with a depth guage. Watch this space!

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
i get a bad droning noise in my tme, particularly bad at high speed. However it only occurs when the missus is on board...... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
The car went in for a service today but they couldn't find anything wrong - they thought it could be tyre noise. Because of the road conditions at the moment (grit etc), it's too hard to tell. I'll be taking it back when the weather is better. Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts