Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a long time fan of motor racing and video games I have owned most of the driving/ racing games to have come out over the years, and I wondered if anyone else out there was into their racing games?

I use a Thrustmaster T300 force feedback wheel & pedal setup mounted on a simple single column wheel stand and a gaming chair, which I use for PS4 and PC. (I also have an old Madcatz wheel that I used to use for my Xbox360 but sadly the paddle gears stopped working so I now just use the pedals as rudder pedals for my flight simulator!)

I love simulator games, the more realistic the better, and recently I've been looking specifically for games that include evo's. Obviously the likes of Forza always have various versions, and Project cars features an Evo X in the base game, plus an Evo IX and a VI TME as part of one of the DLC packs. They've confirmed 3 different VI models (I think) for Project Cars 2 as well, which will be out later on this year.

I've also noticed there's a picture of an Evo among the screenshots for the new Gran Turismo Sport game, so fingers crossed that'll have a couple of models too.

Other than that I'm a big fan of the old GTR PC games, Raceroom and Assetto Corsa, as well as some more *cough cough* 'arcadie' racers, but I was wondering what do you guys play, and what are your favourite racing games of all time?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Always enjoyed the Gran Turismo series myself. Can't wait for the new one to come out! Need to buy myself a wheel and pedals though! :wallbang:
Do enjoy Project Cars though, but as i only play multilayer, i get very annoyed with all the to$$ers who just aim to spin you out all the time! :mad:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always enjoyed the Gran Turismo series myself. Can't wait for the new one to come out! Need to buy myself a wheel and pedals though! :wallbang:
Do enjoy Project Cars though, but as i only play multilayer, i get very annoyed with all the to$$ers who just aim to spin you out all the time! :mad:
Yeah I hate that. I do like the AI on some of the more modern racers though, feels pretty nice racing 35 other cars around Le Sarthe without everyone trying to take each other out!

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,846 Posts
CrazyA64 used to love playing Asseto Corsa on his gaming PC :handsup:

I stick to Forza 6, etc. :crackup:

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
It's not a sim as such and it doesn't have any Evo's unfortunately, but I really enjoy Driveclub on PS4 as it's got a really solid handling model and sense of speed that a lot of pure sims lack. I've enjoyed previous Gran Turismo games over the years, however I can't see me playing GT Sport as much as I have Driveclub this console generation.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I started playing Dirt on the PC, I only really play on the rally cross part of the game, it's good fun racing a 600bhp rx car, I only really play online. I use a 2nd hand g27 wheel and pedals and a playseat challenge, I am on the lookout for a fanatec wheel and pedals, but being a tight northerner I don't want to pay too much for it.

·
Simon - EVO V
1,802 Posts
Driving/ Racing games & simulators

Rfactor and live for speed are the go to ones for proper physics. The graphics may not be the best but simulation physics are sublime, and being able to tweak geometry, tyre pressure, gear ratios etc is endless fun.

Rfactor has some fantastic add ons, you can download infinite numbers of real world tracks and roads and vehicle, my favourite was going up the Stelvio Pass in a Delta Integrale

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the best software for learning all of the UK tracks?
I would also say Project Cars in terms of accessibility, has most of the main UK tracks and as it's been released as a console game as well, it's a lot easier to pick up and play than trying to built a full on home simulator (unless that's what you're after?). In terms of learning braking distances, gears and lines etc, I've found it pretty much spot on.

When I did a track day at Brands, the similarities were uncanny I thought. I'm now using it to learn/ practice for the Nordschleife before I go there in real life! :mhihi:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started playing Dirt on the PC, I only really play on the rally cross part of the game, it's good fun racing a 600bhp rx car, I only really play online. I use a 2nd hand g27 wheel and pedals and a playseat challenge, I am on the lookout for a fanatec wheel and pedals, but being a tight northerner I don't want to pay too much for it.
Definitely agree, RX is a blast! Dirt Rally was pretty good fun I thought. And Project Cars 2 is gonna have RX cars as well ;)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not a sim as such and it doesn't have any Evo's unfortunately, but I really enjoy Driveclub on PS4 as it's got a really solid handling model and sense of speed that a lot of pure sims lack. I've enjoyed previous Gran Turismo games over the years, however I can't see me playing GT Sport as much as I have Driveclub this console generation.
Ah yeah I never really got into Driveclub, I think it's mainly because there's no proper racetracks on it and I didn't like the AI much, but the handling was really good and for the age of the game, the graphics are ace too!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
rFactor is very good for UK tracks, before my first track days years ago (was Bedford) I got that track and learned it on PC before I went there. Nothing will substitute a Tayl driving the track but rFactor is as close as you get to the real thing without spending big money on proper simulators. Steering wheel is the most important piece of kit and Logitech G25 wheel is the best, now replaced with G29.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I would also say Project Cars in terms of accessibility, has most of the main UK tracks and as it's been released as a console game as well, it's a lot easier to pick up and play than trying to built a full on home simulator (unless that's what you're after?). In terms of learning braking distances, gears and lines etc, I've found it pretty much spot on.

When I did a track day at Brands, the similarities were uncanny I thought. I'm now using it to learn/ practice for the Nordschleife before I go there in real life! :mhihi:
I have drove quite a lot of Donington Park in the Evo IX on Project Cars. I'm hoping, like you say, the braking distances etc will be pretty spot on for when i go on a track day. Quite interested to see how accurate Project Cars is as a sim.
I also thought about learning Nordschleife on there as well, but there are SO many corners to remember and i easily get frustrated when i mess it up and don't complete the lap through rage quitting! :lol:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have drove quite a lot of Donington Park in the Evo IX on Project Cars. I'm hoping, like you say, the braking distances etc will be pretty spot on for when i go on a track day. Quite interested to see how accurate Project Cars is as a sim.
I also thought about learning Nordschleife on there as well, but there are SO many corners to remember and i easily get frustrated when i mess it up and don't complete the lap through rage quitting! :lol:
Ha yeah I bet you'll find the down hill section through turns 2 and 3 a lot more scary in real life!

Yeah I've been using the Evo VI TME on the Nordschleife (as tempting as it is to use an LMP1 car!) but I've found after the first section I'm not doing too bad now, it's easy to get carried away on the game but I bet it'll be a bit easier in real life in a way cos I'd no way push as hard as I do when I'm on the game!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
It's not in the same league simulation wise as some of the above, but I've been putting some time into GT Sport and finding it pretty enjoyable although I haven't ventured online yet. It's got a number of variants of the Evo X, but fans of the older models will be disappointed at the moment although they could potentially add them as DLC down the line.

The scapes photo mode is pretty impressive though:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts