Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HKS supper dragger cat back exhaust( and De-cat for track days http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > ) . I'm looking for a downpipe to complete the system. What kind of gain can i expect from this, and most importantly which one should i go for????
I'm looking for something that would give a better exhaust note, and good power increase. Please could anyone who has tried after market down pipe please give me your views. Also will this give an overboost problem?
Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Go for the HKS extension kit!!!

It includes the downpipe and a stainless steel turbo elbow that is the part that is going out straight from the turbo.
The performance will be only better as the sound!

www.tdi-plc.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi C2,

Depends on your budget. The HKS elbow and down pipe has been recommended to me by a few people but they don't sell them separately and the cost is around £400. If you want to spend a bit less, I can recommend the Magnex downpipe (£120 |PLS| VAT). You will get gains - my 25bhp gain (compared to standard after fitting the full Magnex system was pretty impressive). You will keep the std. elbow, but I'm not sure there will be more than a few bhp difference it.

If anyone has fitted the HKS kit and had it rollered before and after, I'd be interested to know the results.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,
The hks kit sounds good but im not really looking to spend that much. The magnex sounds more like what im after however after inquiring about it i've been told that a suspension part needs modification for it to fit!! this has put me off a little as i dont really want to have to mess around with the suspension. Can anyone who has fitted this part elaborate on what needs to be done. Also does anyone have any experience with other downpipes they could share?
TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine wasn't modified as far as I know! Speak to the guys at Dragon who fitted my Magnex if you want to be sure. If they did anything to the suspension they didn't tell me and didn't charge for it.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
magnex front fitted my lowered 5 without any problems
gives more urge from around 4500 rpm
seems to work like tunes state it their advert

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was told this by DRAGON apparently a tie arm or rod somthing like that anyway needs slight modification to fit on the 6. not a major job from what i was told but needs doing all the same, with DRAGON being so far away its difficult making the time to go there and get it fitted and id rather not get it delivered and have KWIK FIT do the work http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > intresting to see how they interpret the fitting mods LOL.
Has anyone had any japanese make Down pipe fitted? anymore input anyone can offer?
P.S Thanks to all who replied.
SteveC, how you doing mate , hows the motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the best down pipes available is the Power Engineering , but it wud have to be adapted to fit yr HKS system , worth it tho,

The PE down pipe replaces the factory cast iron turbo outlet and improves the gas flow from the waste gate outlet. The HKS down pipe has a separate part to replace the turbo outlet and the down pipe itself is carbon (mild) steel not stainless , consequently the price is high and it is not as neat or light as the PE.

BTW , the part that requires attention on the underside when the down pipe is replaced is a bracing link which ties the front suspension subframe between three points , I had to lower mine with spacers when I fitted the PE downpipe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fitted magnex downpipe myself, using two axle stands. dragon told me the tie bar would need modding when I ordered the pipe off them. Simple enough take it off and bend it slightly by hand in a vice. Only 3 bolts hold it on, and it isn't exactly substantial (looking at Cusco lower brace to replace it). Only prob I had was getting a socket over the bolts at the turbo end of the D/pipe, as the ne pipe is larger dia, and therefore the bolt heads are closer to the pipe. Bit of a struggle, but OK in the end.

It does make a noticeable difference.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi C2,

Car is doing fine - just got the Blitz filter and Leda springs on and took for a bit of a thrash around Cadwell - top fun. Got your chipping sorted yet?

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve,
got my boost sorted, car now holds 1.1 bar no problem.
I'm after a down pipe because ive been told it improves boost and response. Looks like i'll get the magnex soon, sounds like great value.
Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the HKS Superdrager and the Power Engineering down pipe, with the Ralliart de-cat pipe. Power Engineering got it all to fit properly, no worries.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having a system made to measure by a firm in sheffield. Stainless steel 2mm think with a diameter of 2 and 1/4 inch(been told any larger and I will lose power). So far just CAT back but already seems to have increased the top end, with 140mph and still powering through. Having the rest of the system, turbo back, done this weekend for around £410, and of course with a 5 inch tailpipe.
This was for 1800 GSR, but do systems for any car and anything you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are using a twin-down pipe. Send me a mail and I will send you photos of this.
Regards
Prospeed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fellow I bought my car off had fitted an Apexi downpipe. I can't give you any figures but he said he noticed the difference afterwards. (already had uprated filter and exhaust)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
C2

can you let me know how you get on with the magnex, as i have the hiper muffler and was looking into down pipes.

cheers

lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts