Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm, someone told me (or did i saw it in the brochure) that stock E4 GSR comes factory-fitted with Helical LSD front |PLS| AYC rear!! is this true?! if not, then oh **** coz' i just replaced the front|PLS|rear gearboxes (including the transfer box) oil with Castrol LSX (Limited Slip Differential). will it do any harm then, since i may have used the wrong specs oil?! PLS HELPPP... evoboy, where are you?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E4 GSR comes with Helical LSD gearbox?!

According to the manual the front lsd helical gear type is a makers option on the rs and not at all on the GSr.
the rear has a mechanical LSD on the RS and not at all on the GSR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E4 GSR comes with Helical LSD gearbox?!

Yep Tony and Paul are right on this one, the Helical (Torsen) front LSD is an option only on the E4-6 RS.....

however.....(there's always a however in the world of Mitsubishi)....

my E6 GSR has a front LSD as standard from the factory!

The theroy (allegedily) goes that the factory ran out of the ordinary open diffs and fitted the front LSD to some GSR's. There is no way of telling physically if you have a LSD fitted in your transfer box other than by removing the right hand driveshaft and looking in. I suppose you could also check with Mitsubishi's records but I don't know how successful you would be.
So how do I know I have a front LSD?
There is a fairly common problem with the unit in that the bolts securing the two halves of the diff together either come loose or break causing a fault similar to a worn CV joint. I had this problem with mine (they came loose) and it was repaired with new bolts. I had no idea it had a LSD until then!

Right now to Castrol LSX,
I have no knowledge of this oil but check and see what it says on the pack. If it says its suitable for Hypoid differentials/gears and is GL5 spec then don't worry. It maybe the case that it is only suitable for plated limited slip diffs (Powerlock) in which case I would change it for a Hypoid specific oil (I suspect LSX is a plated LSD specific oil).
This goes for the transfer box and rear diff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.