Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Please don't flame me for this if I'm asking probably the dumbest question on the planet, but I've heard of a lot of people talking about launching off the line by side stepping the clutch .

Now, I'm not ENTIRELY sure what this is.

Is it literally just moving your foot off the clutch pedal to the side to make the clutch engage at the fastest possible speed and therefore launch rather than pull away? Or am I being a complete eejit?

Furthermore, if thats the case, doesn't it really damage the clutch? And / or other parts?

I like the Evo's power and accelleration etc but really wouldn't want to subject my pride and joy to such intensive treatment. Or am I missing the point of owning an Evo :)

Please feel free to correct me (prefereably without calling me an absolutel eejit!)

Many thanks

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:Does

Dave,

Is it literally just moving your foot off the clutch pedal to the side to make the clutch engage at the fastest possible speed and therefore launch rather than pull away?

Yes.

and amp;gt; and amp;gt; and amp;gt; Or am I being a complete eejit?

No.

and amp;gt; and amp;gt; and amp;gt; Furthermore, if thats the case, doesn't it really damage the clutch? And / or other parts?

Yes ... it's a great way of causing premature wear on the clutch and many other transmission components. Very useful for beating those pesky TT's and M3's off the line though.

If you're not entirely happy with the clutch/transmission damage from sidestepping the clutch, you can always try powershifting for creative new ways of shortening component life.

and amp;gt; and amp;gt; and amp;gt; I like the Evo's power and accelleration etc but really wouldn't want to subject my pride and joy to such intensive treatment. Or am I missing the point of owning an Evo

Don't worry ... you're unlikely to need this brutal treatment to see most cars off the line. It's only absolutely necessary for serious dragstrip work.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:Does

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ian, much appreciated :)

I reckon I'll stick to using the clutch normally rather than the side stepping technique, don't want to see my baby on the ramps at Ralliart having a new clutch more often than I should be.

Out of interest, anybody experienced much damage / excessive wear and tear through this exercise?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts