Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I'm talking about:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4173qdr0O-L._SX300_.jpg

I saw one used in a whisky bar in Vegas, so I know how to use it, but i'm unsure if there are some whiskys which are better than others for smoking?
Like do you take an already smoky single malt and make it more smoky, or take a relatively cheap one and smoke it up etc?

The gun came with a couple of different types of wood chips, although I might try and get some peat to burn as well

Also, when I saw it done it was done with a single measure of whisky just for my drink, if I'm doing at home can I smoke a substantial amount of whisky in one go, or will it only really work with small measures?

·
Zero Fighter
12,870 Posts
I'd personally use cheap whisky. At work we're using kitchen blow torch to burn cinnamon to get flavour, it's quite theatrical, all done in safer manner off course .

You can also buy small barrel and age whisky in it and even flavour it, can do same with ****tails that don't contain fresh juice etc

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,846 Posts
Depends on the Whisky mate. If it's good stuff like the Speyside 28-year old malt my friend plied me with last Friday, just a dash of water or ice and nothing else! I hate to think what that cost as it came in a wooden box and the ones I see regularly at Glasgow Airport are in the £100s and one was £1000+ :eek:

I'd only be messing about with a blend, decent one like a Monkey Shoulder or Dewars though not Bells, Grouse or Teachers 'supermarket' stuff.

If you want a nice malt for a 'reasonable price' I can recommend a nice Jura Turas Mara or Superstition and if you like a heavily peated taste something like a Port Charlotte, that is finished off in cognac casks too:smthumbup

·
Zero Fighter
12,870 Posts
You can get smaller 1-2L barrels for around £40-£50
Superstition is bloody good ! But with so many peaty whiskys around I woudbt bother really, unless you're flavouring it with fancy pancy stuff, smoking is good for ****tails only in my personal opinion

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get smaller 1-2L barrels for around £40-£50
Superstition is bloody good ! But with so many peaty whiskys around I woudbt bother really, unless you're flavouring it with fancy pancy stuff, smoking is good for ****tails only in my personal opinion
Well my mates bought it for me having had this guy in vegas smoke me that whisky. I asked for the most peaty whisky they had, which he showed me then said "want to see something cool" and then went ahead and did the whole smoking process to make it even more peaty.....so they decided to buy me one.

I do agree with you though, it probably seems better suited to ****tails, but I'll give it a go with some whisky and see how we get on. Just ordered a bottle of my favourite Bowmore, can't hurt to see what happens with a bit of smoke added.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I'd only use it for bourbon, theres a ****tail you can get from the blackhouse restaurants, like grill on the corner in glasgow, called a smokey old fashioned and its just sublime, perfect after a good feed. Might get one for my brother as we were looking at how we could replicate it at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts