Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice from anyone that competes in athletics.

My son in the past few weeks has started the Javelin and has just won the qualifying session in Croydon District Sports competition. He is only in year 8 at school and was competing against boys in years 9 - 11.

I think he has a natural skill, which needs to be developed further.

Does anyone have any experience or advice what the best route would be to take to develop his skill further?

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Maybe your son's PE teacher knows whether there are any Athletic clubs locally he could go along to for advice /training?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are speaking to the school but they do not fill me with any confidence that they will be able to develop his skill.

He will be competing in the Croydon District Finals in a couple of weeks.

The school have never had a student throw this far before and he has no experience at all.

It may be early days but he is beating boys that are two years older.

John

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Good Luck John - if the lad is lucky enough to have a natural skill then you have to help him develop it! :D

Try doing a search online for an athletics forum maybe? or a search on Google might come up with a London based club, there must be a few surely??

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the links guys.

XLR8 the UK Athletics link is very good. :smthumbup

Mike I will contact Crystal Palace tomorrow. Dan has only been throwing the Javelin for a couple of weeks. He has only had 3 PE lessons teaching him the technique and at only 13 years old has already thrown 49 metres. :eek:

RichW I will do everything I can to help Dan espescially if he has a naural skill and wants to develop it.

John

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update. My son joined the Croydon Harriers and has his first county competition on Saturday.

Fingers crossed.

John

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Wish him luck from me ;) here's hoping it flies like an evo ;)

P.S. Your avatar is still fecked up, press cntrl and F5 together to renew it ;)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Lee.

Hope the weathers good for the Run for Fun. Gutted I'm missing it again. :(

John

·
Registered
994 Posts
skeletor said:
Cheers for the links guys.

XLR8 the UK Athletics link is very good. :smthumbup

Mike I will contact Crystal Palace tomorrow. Dan has only been throwing the Javelin for a couple of weeks. He has only had 3 PE lessons teaching him the technique and at only 13 years old has already thrown 49 metres. :eek:

RichW I will do everything I can to help Dan espescially if he has a naural skill and wants to develop it.

John
49 meters!! thats amazing, seriously he has a talent there!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Guys my son Dan competed in his first major competition today.

It was the Surrey Schools County Championships.

He threw 41m and achieved sixth place. He received a nice certificate.

I am well chuffed. This was a very good result considering most of the other boys where 15.

He has only had one coaching session with the Croydon Harriers and his technique is all wrong so he can only improve.

The first six places are put forward to compete in the English Schools Championships.

:) :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts