Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen these starting to appear in Swansea and Llanelli, the internet is awash with theories about them and the most plausible is that they now take the photo for the RADAR in the original box and transmit it digitally so no need for film anymore. Does any one know anything else or if this is true?

They are always an accomplice to an existing GATSO and have the GATSO sticker on the side.

· Registered
3,719 Posts
I thought they were fazing alot of gatso cameras out because they were found not to be that cost affective??

Instead they build more,but i suppose ANPR cameras will catch loads of uninsured drivers and they are also aimed at mobile phone users.

· Registered
624 Posts
In sweden it has been known for people to shoot the gatso's with a shotgun. Couldnt find a picture of one that was done but found a link to a web game that lets you do the same :angel:
http://www.flashtrackz.com/games/freeonlinegames/5675/shoot-the-gatso.html
Not that I would ever hope that anyone did this in real life ...... :coolsm:
Swedish cameras are quite easy to spot to and apparently the law says, not verified, that if you cant see the face they can give the fine;

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks a bit vulnerable, any vandal could take that aerial off in less than 30 seconds.

Just to repeat, any vandal could take that aerial off in less than 30 seconds. :angel:
:smthumbup :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Looks to be a new breed of Digital camera. Theres a few reports of it being an additional flash unit to the orignal speed trap but given a lot of things are going digital and hence smaller, id say this is a digital type camera. It may also have ANPR capability too, as the DVLA has now done the insurance tax law change now

· Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh, bit of t'internet trawling and a plausable answer has been found i think...

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21832&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=80

About 7th post down

Seems its an upgrade to an analouge camera thats been converted to digital
Well done Steve, knew you'd find it :smthumbup

And to quote that post, here's the answer:

"FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 - INFORMATION REQUEST

Your request for information has now been considered. The information you have requested is enclosed below:

Thank you for your email concerning the new equipment at the existing camera sites at xxxxxx

The sites referred to have been recently converted from old wet film technology cameras to new digital technology cameras, as part of this process a new flash unit was installed at each of the sites to allow more illumination at the site and therefore give a better clarity of photo.

The aerial on top of the flash unit is used to transmit the photos taken by the camera to the police headquarters computer server. It is primarily used to send data however it is possible for the camera to receive data when needed by the police server. The aerial dose not interact with the radar unit contained within the camera housing"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.