Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i've been hearing that dual clutchs have been wearing out the main bearings on the crankshaft shortly after installaition of the dual clutchs, is this ture or a real concern? I ask because i was planning on upgrading to a Ralliart dual clutch or the Exedy, but now i need to reseach this more before i pick a clutch. Do AP racing and Alcon make suitable units that can see some rare street use? I know the FQ400 has an Alcon unit. My car will be producing about 360hp at the crank when i get the clutch.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
In theory a dual clutch ( I assume you mean twin plate clutch) is less likely to affect the crank bearings due to the lower release loads as torque capacity is increased by having two driven plates. The twin clutch suffers from more drag, making the syncro’s on the gearbox work harder, resulting in a poorer gear change.

AP Racing don’t have a twin plate clutch for the EVO, just a single organic or cerametallic paddle type.

The Alcon FQ400 unit is a single plate cerametallic paddle clutch, that is quite grabby. :mockery: (.... as are most paddle clutches)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which type of clutch should i go for? Dual or single cerametallic paddle? And what type of experiences do people have with the ralliart dual clutch, is it worth it? I feel that if a dual clutch wears out the syncros i'd rather go for a single plate just because i know how hard it is to find someone to work on a transmission. That what i'm changing in my other car right now and its been a pain the ass. oh, i dont mind the clutch being grabby, thats fine with me as long as it hold up to some abuse. I dont know much about the cerametallic clutchs, do they have to heat up before you get on them? I do have experince with a carbon clutch (cup version clutch) on a 944 turbo s...is that comparable?

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
HKS Twin Plate

My third gear syncro lasted all of 400 miles after fitting this clutch :cry:

box had done 60K though :D

Gearbox just another consumable I guess, new one on its way though and I'll rebuild the original.

anyone any experience of hardening the box , shot peening and larger input shafts please / recommendations also if the syncros are 'soft' any recommendations for alternatives, excluding a dog box though.

also is the only way to get a smooth upshift to 3rd = slowly

and a down shift with either double de-clutch or blip to match speed

any other techniques?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had my gears shotpeened and superpolished at Metal Improvements in Newbury. It's the same process as X-Trac use on their transmissions. I'm hoping it will reduce the failure rate!!

(twin plate clutches don't do any more damage to cranshaft end float bearings than single plate)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts