Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just come back from Bruntinghorpe, my EVO was running the lowest power it has ever had - 310bhp at 0.9 bar!! Funny thing was, it was by far and away the fastest car there! Why? Because the handling, brakes, weight etc. are all superb. It out-handled just about everything there, and was fast enough to keep up with, or pass everyting on the straights.

THe reason the power was so low was because the engine has just been built. After next week's mapping session, it will be running 2 bar approx - So look for 380-400bhp. With the new turbo|PLS|wastgate in a couple of weeks time, it will be 450|PLS|.

Funny thing is, I am not sure I need it - it is superb already.

So the moral, and my advice here, is to look at your brakes/suspension FIRST - then worry about power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't until we've tried it. The turbo has modified internals which are supposed to make it possible, but there is so much bullshit from jap manufacturers, that you have to take it with a pinch of salt. 1.76 bar is the highest we turned it up to before - basically what I am saying is we are hoping for as close to 2 bar peak as possible.

All I can say is I will report back after the tuning session. I take it from your comment that the standard turbo won't run that peak pressure, although I have seen 2 bar claimed from various tuners in the past (e.g. Ralliart) - doesn't mean it is true, of course!

Whatever the final boost pressure with the standard turbo, I am pretty confident of a high power figure, circa 380-400bhp, and a big torque figure too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blade,
U can NEVER EVER have enuf power :)

Now yr car has a sorted chassis , when the big numbers arrive u will have even more FUN :).........u lucky lucky man.

If yr ever passing Birmingham , u must drop in so I can check it out , wud buy u a pint if ya did :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yer on. Funny, I am in Brum tomorrow, though going by train! If you ever do track days, let me know. Also, my car is often at Power Engineering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evoboy, Swindon isn't that far from Brum - I am going to the South West meet next Sunday (30th) - why don't you come on down to that? Will have my car there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be interesting see what figures you get with the standard turbo. My guess after looking at those compressor maps is that over 1.4 bar your just getting more pressure and no more air. I guess if you have cams etc then this could be higher. What sort of Turbo are you getting?? external wastegate etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chuck,

Very true mate. From the compressor curves you can see that the standard turbo will only be able to make ~380hp whatever the boost is up to. Still that's still a useful power increase over standard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The std turbo will run 2 bar - but not at full engine rpm - that is beyond its flow capability (max .265kg/sec air mass flow at 2.7 pressure ratio - 1.7 bar - approx. 350hp @6000 rpm).

When Ralliart say they have seen 2 bar I guess they mean at mid range over-boost to flatten the torque curve. I assume the WRC cars do this to produce the high torque at low revs.

It is possible to get a pressure ratio of 3.25 (2.25 bar/32.6 psi) at flow rates of 0.175 to 0.20 kg/sec.

Don't forget that at these extreme conditions the compressor is only operating at 60% adiabatic efficiency so it is heating the charge air considerably and working the intercooler very hard. (Hence the homologated water sprays I guess)

Pressure ratio 3.25 gives compressor outlet air a temperature of 210 deg. C. at 60% efficency.
Pressure ratio 3.0 gives compressor outlet air a temperature of 198 deg. C. at 60% efficency.
Pressure ratio 2.2 (1.2 bar boost) produces only 115 deg. C at 75% efficiency.
Hence the importance of a big big intercooler for an extreme boost engine.

For reliability on a mainly road evo 3-6 I would not run more than 1.4 bar boost at high revs (335-340hp). Maybe a little more mid range for more torque low down. Any more than that and a bigger compressor for the turbo is a definite requirement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If more boost over say 1.4 bar is available but at a great increase in heat, surely even say with a larger HKS intercooler your have to retard the ignition to avoid det. Then the gain made from boost is lost due to this, what's better timing or increase in boost???
I would of thought a combo of both, maybe 1.4bar is a nice limit, then get a bigger turbo to get more air at a cooler temp at a lower pressure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original Post:
Evoboy, Swindon isn't that far from Brum - I am going to the South West meet next Sunday (30th) - why don't you come on down to that? Will have my car there!
Will do m8 if it doesn't rain :(
How was Brum 2day ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Evoboy, Brum was wet!

Doesn't look like I am going Sunday now. Er indoors is none too happy as I am going up to Croft for Monday morning - I have been ordered to paint the bathroom instead. ******!

Lightspeed/Chuck, the standard turbo will sustain 1.6 bar no problem, I have run it like that for months. The upper limit is around 1.8, maybe 1.9 with the gasflowed head, manifold and housing. Will probably see 2.0 on overboost, maybe higher.

With my setup I am confident of 380bhp, and hopeful for 400bhp - bear in mind a whole load of work has been done, much more than just turning up the boost!

I have decided not to go for a new turbo - to be honest, last saturday at Bruntingthorpe, my EVO was the fastest car by far, running 0.9 bar - with the internal modifications, the torque it is producing is fantastic, and I don't want to risk loosing that. All that was missing was some top-end grunt for the long straights - it merely kept up with the exotica on the straights, when it could overtake them instead!

I am not trying to make an EVO with the most power, just trying to make the fastest track EVO.

I have some piccies now - anyone know how to post them??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't flame me BTW - there are bound to be people who claim their car is faster/better etc. - I am only interested in how it performs for me - and at 0.9 bar it seems to beat everything on the track, so anything above 1.7 bar is a bonus!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blade

For track use, you could get a more serious steering wheel, dont you think? I like the Stack thing with the revs in the middle but the black numbers on green LCD are hard to see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Claudius,

When you will be able to have some modifications you can start to talk!

I had the same steering wheel on my VR6 and it's really good and looks nice!
The stack instrument is not hard to read as everything is on the display!

Blade's evo is probably not the ultimate evo, but it's in the good way and he has got really nice stuff fitted.
The ap brakes are the best for a road kit, there is carbon fiber even on the floor, and a nice gr.a airbox:D!

Blade, I hope that you will post some other pictures of the car from outside with the wheels fitted, and that you will go for the big turbo!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blade I am seriously impressed with your motor and I totally agree with your brake/suspension logic - I have posted something along these lines under the 7th Heaven topic. You just cannot spend enough time on the set up of the car in my opinion as the ability to disperse with corners quickly and get the power back down for the straights is the key to fast lap times. I used to be fairly handy on a bike and have been passed AND lapped on several occations by guys on 600cc machines v my 1000cc bike simply because they had a better set up, I could not get the power down and they could carry significantly higher corner speed than me - Too much power can actually be a BAD thing is certain circumstances.
I do not know if you have posted this before but I for one would be VERY interested in your suspension and brake set up and of-course the rest of the car, which looks the dogs. I now fully understand why you said your car would not be suitable for every day use!!
Rock and Roll.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts