Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know do you always garage your evo & or do you leave it on the driveway/street.....

You hear horror stories that people breaking into your home so they can steal your evo keys :( ...is this because the car is always on the drive??

If you always garage your evo - would you still have one if you did not have a garage?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Evo always garaged. Not sure if I would have one if it was on the street. Insurance is often higher, and I would be forever looking out the window just to make sure some chavvy scum is not running his keys down the side. :mad:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don`t have a garage so always on the road- have to say though it`s a big factor in the fact that we`re now looking for a new house (with garage)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
always in the garage at the mo, but insured as "on the driveway" no difference in price but if u feel lazy, drunk or forgetfull and leave on the drive the insurance will still pay out if it ain't there in the morning!

Always ensured had garage or at least drive way when renting/buying a property and not on a main route to hide from prying eyes.

If had to have place with no drive would get an older evo!

·
Registered
878 Posts
this is one benefit to now knowing some of the local chavs, and some of them now knowing the wrong end of my size 9. At the minute its on the road as the drive is full. Its not so much the little gits scratching it that worries me with leaving it on the road, its the some git driving into it and driving off that scare me.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
mine always lives on my drive, id think twice before i left it on the road, i dont even like leaving it on the road when round friends

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Always in garage because it's hooked up to house alarm, drive posts going in there too.

Drive gates shut as a deterrent?!?

Once had mr police man stop by the house and warn us of a 'Trend' in which cars were being stolen in the area, helpful chap, gave loads of advice on security.

·
Registered
601 Posts
martianevo said:
always in the garage at the mo, but insured as "on the driveway" no difference in price but if u feel lazy, drunk or forgetfull and leave on the drive the insurance will still pay out if it ain't there in the morning!

Always ensured had garage or at least drive way when renting/buying a property and not on a main route to hide from prying eyes.

If had to have place with no drive would get an older evo!
Mine was originally insured for being in the garage.The garage now contains a mountain of junk and I haven't got round to telling the Insurance co. yet. So if I change it to 'on the driveway' will the premium really not go up? ? ?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
depends on the insurance company, for me privilege, direct line and bell direct don't charge any extra. I have have always asked for the extra to say on the driveway, never been quoted more a few quid.

U will probably find in the terms and conditions for "in the garage" that if the car is stolen from ur property between 10 pm and 7 am (or similar) and it wasn't in the garage then it isn't covered for theft. So tell em asap!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I do have a garage but I need to get some carpet on the walls because it's a tight squeeze. When not on garage it's on the drive and when I can swing it I make sure my wife's Fiesta is boxing me in for extra protection.

I've not had any trouble so far with it being in sight, I do always squeeze it into the garage and get out very carefully if I'm going away for more than an overnight trip.

·
Premium Member
22,007 Posts
3 lads broke into my house and stole the keys to my evo while i slept, when the evo was parked on the drive. Got it back and they snapped the garage door off to have a second unsuccessful try. I now have solid steel garage doors, and touch wood, I have not been bothered since, I think parking on a drive way is an advert to thieves, and if they are looking for a car, and its not garaged, it is one less deterrent

Stu

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you insure your car as parked on driveway, then have it in the garage and something falls on it, or garage burns down etc, would you be covered??

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
Mines Garaged boxed in by a 3.5 Ton Iveco van which is also alarmed :D Its the opportunist who **** you off we parked the Evo IV on next doors drive one night when we bought a new van,it was only there 2 hours and by 2am some little gits tried to pop the drivers lock and smashed the rear quarter light to get in ,the alarm went off of course oh and i legged out in me nightie with the husband following :mad: after that I vowed the car is never left on show :D I wouldn't mind but I live in a very rural area too.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ours is in the garage it gets put in as soon as we are home. Then when Neil finishes work the van is parked infront of the garage.
They would have to get the van moved and then there are two very expensive locks on the garage that they can't cut through with bolt croppers.

We always leave the car in gear as well. So if they try and push it they won't get very far.

Thinking of moving the garage further back in the end so the van can get parked in front of the garage and then have some electric gates and garage door opener.

Just makes life a little bit harder for the thieving little gits.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Havent even got mine and i have rented a garage from the council... hooked it up to an alarm as well :D

Im always looking out the window to watch for the local brats (or chavs-in-training) who delight in riding their bikes round your cars. Also posts like this give me cause for concern. Really feel for this guy :(

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?threadid=75978

1 - 20 of 46 Posts