Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be getting a motec done also an uprated fuel pump. now ive been told that not everybody gets the arp bolts done, how true is this. its not a case of money or hassel its just i was told they have to be done right, ie taking out the engine as doing them whilst engine is in you can not get them touqued up right.

can any one shead any light?

PhilG

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
the reason people dont recommend fitting with the engine in the car is that the bolts are an interferance fit in the big end.

my mechanic did a set but would not do it again for fear of damaging something.

the question is - do the OE ones fail before the OE rods?

probably not and you risk causing damage whilst fitting and also fitting a potentially faulty bolt.

i'm up to 1.6 bar on OE internals - so far so good.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still not had that done mate! im waiting for a blast, ive got my aps 3.5 comming tommorow weyhey :D . car is now fuel cutting with my air filter on, god know what it will be like tom.

PhilG

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Std rod bolts on mine, 1.5 bar.

Its not the boost level that breaks the bolts its over reving, missing gears etc.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Without starting the MLR age-old debate, is it not the case that it is the rotation speed and increased torque that causes the failures. By that I mean consistent high revs, such as a new ecu and higher rev limiter, where you are running high revs constantly.

Increasing the boost and normal driving should be okay, unless your heading towards a 2 bar monster.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Your only saying that coz youve spent the money Leonard, Not changed mine and tommorrow I leave the garage with the BB turbo , Motec etc etc , you can all laugh when it goes bang, I decided that the likelyhood of causing damage was greater by messing with them than not

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
lighty said:
Your only saying that coz youve spent the money Leonard, Not changed mine and tommorrow I leave the garage with the BB turbo , Motec etc etc , you can all laugh when it goes bang, I decided that the likelyhood of causing damage was greater by messing with them than not
£40 plus fitting not a lot of moola really is it :D As long as you trust the person doing it to do it right then no harm in getting them done I say :)

Matt
:)

P.S If the engine goes bang Iain I know wher you live :crackup: ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I face exactly the same debate. Do I? don't I?

I plan to eventually run 370bhp max with just a Ralliart ECU, exhaust, and more boost.

I always just assumed you had to replace them. :confused:

Is 370bhp with standard big-end bolts ok?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
lighty said:
I decided that the likelyhood of causing damage was greater by messing with them than not
i PERSONALLY totally agree with this comment. i have done rods for someone in the past, but against my advice, so there was no come back of anything went wrong (which as far as i'm aware it hasn't).

if they were a straight bolt swap then i'd say yes, i've done these on an astra turbo and they were a doddle, but as the evo ones are a stud pressed into the rod, doing the procedure 'in-car' make things tricky and you need to be careful not to ding the crank.

i currently have an engine stripped for a rebuild which had the ARP's done in-car, and there were a few dings in the crank which had scored the big end shells.

IMHO its only a job to be done when doing an engine strip & build.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts