Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for you folks who service your own cars. Do you make a note in the service book to say what was done and when? I've had my X for nearly 6 months now. Did an oil change when I got it and doing another next week. Just trying to work out if it's better to keep the receipts on their own or fill in a box on the service book as well each time.

·
Premium Member
MLR Regional Organiser South London (ish)
3,531 Posts
A question for you folks who service your own cars. Do you make a note in the service book to say what was done and when? I've had my X for nearly 6 months now. Did an oil change when I got it and doing another next week. Just trying to work out if it's better to keep the receipts on their own or fill in a box on the service book as well each time.
I write in service book miles, date and what was done and what products were used:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I change the oils so often in mine I'd run out of pages very quickly lol.

ALL fluids, filters, plugs and aux belt are done every April after winter storage and I do engine oil again mid summer after 500 - 1000 miles. I like it clean lol.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,828 Posts
It's a good idea to keep a record of what was done and when but I wouldn't bother updating the service book. If I was buying that car I'd just consider the service book vandalised.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I change the oils so often in mine I'd run out of pages very quickly lol.

ALL fluids, filters, plugs and aux belt are done every April after winter storage and I do engine oil again mid summer after 500 - 1000 miles. I like it clean lol.
Unless those 500-1000 miles are spent on race tracks that is a massive overkill, waste of money and unnecessary strain on the environment - but it is encouraging there are people around who don't mind keeping the economy going :).

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Just "stamp the book" yourself at the required service intervals (if you observe them of course!) and all receipts for the other extra servicing in a separate folder. If you do your own servicing and the car is under warranty that is what manufacturers will require to see, proof of appropriate servicing when you want to claim under warranty. The same go for buyers.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,828 Posts
Just "stamp the book" yourself at the required service intervals (if you observe them of course!) and all receipts for the other extra servicing in a separate folder. If you do your own servicing and the car is under warranty that is what manufacturers will require to see, proof of appropriate servicing when you want to claim under warranty. The same go for buyers.
If you service the car yourself and you're not a VAT registered garage then your warranty is void.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
DIY Servicing & Service Book

If you service the car yourself and you're not a VAT registered garage then your warranty is void.
********!

EDIT: Looks like it wouldn't let than one through.

In a nutshell not true at all. If anybody told you so and refused warranty you had been done and have a won court case in your pocket for damages :).

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
DIY Servicing & Service Book

Indeed:).

I am going through exactly such process with a major car manufacturer and having zero problems having the car self serviced after the first three services done by manufacturer as it came as a deal when I bought the car new. It wasn't Mitsubishi of course :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts