Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Started making a heat deflector to fit around my hks mushroom filter yesterday (alloy plate stops warm air from turbo being sucked in) on removeing the hks filter spotted some gritlooking deposits had got past the filter so removed the black air intake pipes and f?ck me the amount of grity shitty bits in there was distressing the further down the inlet towards the turbo the more there was allthoug this was mixed with oil from the breater pipe and stuck to the inside of inlet i just cannot belive how much muck has gotten past this filter has any one else had props with hks musroom filter(green foam) my car is 99 evo 6 purchased 8 months ago serviced regually and amp; this filter was fitted when purchased of to dealer to get replacement or some thing sorted Turbo.......

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I had the same trouble with the HKS filter on my Talon. It lets way to much dirt through. I think it passes on the sides of the filter material.

With the Blitz filter on my E6 I had exactly the same problem! Dirt mixed with the oil/water mix from the breather. Probably good that way: some dirt got stopped that way.

Solution:

Fitted an oil catch tank and a K and amp;N type filter. No I have had a clean intake pipe for months! The Apexi filter, which I also tried, did a real good job too.

So toss out the green thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

I got a Blitz passed on with my E6 when I bought the car, took one look at it and sold it on. In my opinion they are crap, good for power naff for filtration which was confirmed later on by the link above. It was surprising that the HKS came out worse in the tests.

No doubt people will reply like they always do saying that the test is unscientific and defend the Blitz and amp; HKS all I can say is that those 'filters' won't be going anywhere near my car and the comments above confirm my thoughts on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
13 bhp hp gains thats pretty much from an airfilter

can someone confirm this with a rr day. before and after fitting an airfilter on the same day and same petrol.

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
advevo,
If you are refering to the above link remember that is the Skyline they are talking about, twin turbo, twin induction so 13bhp would not be out of the question (although probably still optimistic). I think the Blitz on the Evo gives roughly 5-8bhp extra.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
n ring,

how does an oil catch tank help with filtration? What does it do exactly?

Thanks,
alex

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Alex,

Breather tank - When you get combustion in the cylinders, some of the combusted gas passes the piston rings and gets into the sump. This gas, if it isn't removed, would pressure up the sump and cause the engine oil seals to blow out. Therefore the pressure is released up through the block and cylinder head and is put back into the intake via a breather pipe. What this means is that when the gases are released, they sometimes contain oil that is caught up with the gas. This oil goes straight back into the intake and into the engine to be burned to reduce emissions.
An oil breather tank takes the gas from the breather pipe and seperates out the oil from the gas. The oil is caught in a little pot and this stops it returning to the intake pipework and coating it with oil and wil also give a slight increase in performance due to the engine burning clean fresh air with every charge rather than having to burn some oil as well.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Turbo!

I am facing a similar problem. My mechanic was doing some work in the car and has called me alarmed with the dust in the air intake. It seems to be the same case as most cars fitted with HKS Super Power Flow filters are suffering from. Unfortunately I'm a few thoiusand miles away from the car and I can't take a look myself.

He is suggesting to spay the filter with racing filter oil. Any opinions about this?

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at these sort of filters(HKS super powerflow)they look like the same sort of design as a motocross bike's airfilter.I have ridden in sand for at least 2 hours,removed filter and no sand on inside of filter and no signs of sand entering the engine.These filters are sprayed with a really gooey sticky stuff.Maybe its possible to use this spray on a Powerflow filter??I wouldnt like to try it on my car but any takers??
Arn't the powerflow filters lightly oiled anyway,when new?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I also come from a moto x back ground and this is what i have now done with no ill afects so far but i did use the foam filter oil more lightly than you would on any motocrosser consequently ? i took the car back to ralliart and told them what i had found and was told that at every service the filter should have been sprayed or replaced i have my car serviced there but this was never done ????

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah you have just got to watch out you dont over oil or you will coat the hotwire when using the foam type filter's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts