Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive taken the front number plate off my 7 and theres a load of dirt that almost looks like a stain,ive washed it but it wont come off,any ideas what will remove it:smthumbup

·
Banned
591 Posts
I'd take a two stage approach: (1) start with a citrus all purpose cleaner like R222 Total Auto Wash to loosen and lift most of the grime (you may need to agitate it over the area using a soft detailing brush), then (2) follow up with a strong tar and glue remover like Autosmart Tardis to remove any remaining adhesive residue (you may have to do this step a few times if the remaining adhesive is really gummy). Note that Tardis is a spray on, rinse off product. Finally, once the area is clean, if you don't plan to cover it again then make sure you wax or seal it, as you would the rest of the bodywork. :smthumbup

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plate was not directly stuck to the bumper it was fixed to a metal plate that fixes around the bumper,i think its just where its never been cleaned,but scrubbed it an it wouldnt budge:smthumbup

·
Banned
591 Posts
What did you use to wash it? Just normal shampoo suds? If so, then a citrus all purpose cleaner like the one mentioned above should work as it will offer a lot more cleaning power (but still be 100% safe). :)

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Just use a bit of t-cut mate.alot of people on here will have kittens at the thought of that but i don't see what the fuss is all about when using t-cut.I have used t-cut on my e9 to get marks off and my car still looks mint

·
Banned
591 Posts
Just use a bit of t-cut mate.alot of people on here will have kittens at the thought of that but i don't see what the fuss is all about when using t-cut.I have used t-cut on my e9 to get marks off and my car still looks mint
In due course I will be posting a decent length illustrated article about Evo paint and how to safely polish it by hand or machine. It is usually very soft and very thin, so products like T-Cut (which feature very coarse and very robust abrasive particles) are far from ideal. Bear with me, it might be a few weeks before I can get it done, but hopefully then I can shed some light on the fuss and it's potential consequences. :)

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
In due course I will be posting a decent length illustrated article about Evo paint and how to safely polish it by hand or machine. It is usually very soft and very thin, so products like T-Cut (which feature very coarse and very robust abrasive particles) are far from ideal. Bear with me, it might be a few weeks before I can get it done, but hopefully then I can shed some light on the fuss and it's potential consequences. :)
but thats probably only the case if your sitting with your nose up against the paintwork,its not like using wire wool.

·
Banned
236 Posts
but thats probably only the case if your sitting with your nose up against the paintwork,its not like using wire wool.
I beg to differ, it's not far off :lol: :mhihi:

Honestly mate, it's far from ideal when it comes to polishing by hand - especially on Evo paint :)

·
Banned
591 Posts
True, it's not like using wire wool, but, for want of a better expression, it is like using sandpaper to wipe your bum - not pleasant, very gritty, and could do some damage if you're not careful. :D

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I beg to differ, it's not far off :lol: :mhihi:

Honestly mate, it's far from ideal when it comes to polishing by hand - especially on Evo paint :)
i can understand what your saying if he wanted to do the whole car but its only a small area we are on about here.what about g3?

·
Banned
591 Posts
Why polish at all and remove paint when it was just heavy grime that needed a stronger cleaner? Better to use the least aggressive method to solve the problem, particularly when paint is soft and thin. :)

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Why polish at all and remove paint when it was just heavy grime that needed a stronger cleaner? Better to use the least aggressive method to solve the problem, particularly when paint is soft and thin. :)
How would you remove paint:confused:can't say i have ever seen paint come off when i have used t-cut.Wouldn't the lacquer come off before the paint?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
And the reason why i say use a little tcut is ££££ as what you suggest is over £30 where tcut is about £5.ok the stuff you suggest will be better im sure but does one small area warrant spending that sort of cash on:confused:.I'm not in the trade but i have been cleaning my own cars for 15 years and i can honestly say i have never had one person say your car looks carp because you have used a little tcut on it,but i can't count how many have said how stunning my cars looked after i have cleaned them.I'm not saying for one minute i know better than you or clean a car better but I'm just pointing out that tcut to the average man on the street isn't that bad.lets face it you cant tell me that the normal person stood at a normal distance from a car could say or not if a car has had a small area tcuted very lightly to get such marks off.I bet you would need a paint measuring device to tell the difference.

·
Banned
591 Posts
How would you remove paint:confused:can't say i have ever seen paint come off when i have used t-cut.Wouldn't the lacquer come off before the paint?
All abrasive polishes (including T-Cut) cut back and remove paint; it's what they are designed to do. On modern paint systems you won't see the paint coming off until it's too late, because the upper layer (called the clearcoat) comprises clear lacquer - as you remove this, you won't see any colour on your pad because what you are removing is see through. However, if you take off too much of the clearcoat you will eventually strike through it and reach the coloured pigment layer beneath; if this happens it's respray time. So, this is why we advocate the gentlest approach possible, and this is so important on Evo paint, because it is far softer and far thinner than on most other cars. :)

·
Banned
591 Posts
And the reason why i say use a little tcut is ££££ as what you suggest is over £30 where tcut is about £5.ok the stuff you suggest will be better im sure but does one small area warrant spending that sort of cash on:confused:.I'm not in the trade but i have been cleaning my own cars for 15 years and i can honestly say i have never had one person say your car looks carp because you have used a little tcut on it,but i can't count how many have said how stunning my cars looked after i have cleaned them.I'm not saying for one minute i know better than you or clean a car better but I'm just pointing out that tcut to the average man on the street isn't that bad.lets face it you cant tell me that the normal person stood at a normal distance from a car could say or not if a car has had a small area tcuted very lightly to get such marks off.I bet you would need a paint measuring device to tell the difference.
Fair point on the cost, but do remember that the products I suggested above can be used time and time again for many routine car care tasks, so will not go to waste or sit around unused. I accept that to many people products like T-Cut appeal, as they are readily available and cheap. However, this section of the forum is about detailing, which moves beyond what the average man wants and into the territory of what car care enthusiasts demand. Knowing what I do about T-Cut versus polishes that are better suited but cost more, I can say with utter confidence that a T-Cut finish could never match that produced by higher quality polishes. I accept in a small area it would be far harder to tell the difference, but I'll finish back on my original point - in this case the problem was surface grime, and in such cases there is no need to break out any kind of polish (and thus remove paint) to fix the problem; all that was needed was a stronger chemical cleaner. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts