Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is having his engine rebuilt. He is changing the turbo. He is looking at different aftermarket turbos.

Which direction does the OE EVO turbos rotate? E4, E5, E6, E7, E8?
Rumor is that the E4, E5, E6 and E7 rotate the same direction(dont know which direction).
And the E8 rotates the other direction..

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
is he having the turbo rebuilt...sorry if I'm showing my ignorance here, but if the turbo is spinning, as long as the air goes through in the right direction (dependant on the blades, which would be the opposite orientation if the turbo spun in the opposite direction), then it wouldn't be too much of an issue which way the turbo span.....

or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Just to add that Kyle, if the turbo spins the wrong way then you will be trying to pull air from the engine through the turbo rather than pushing air into it....

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
yeah, but what drives the blades? surely the air will drive them the right way (whether it be anti-clockwise or clockwise), but the blades will be different. Air still going the same way.

Sorry, I really don't know, I'm just speculating, but I'd be interested to find out :)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
the compressor & turbine vanes on either end of the shaft will 'face' /tilted / angled the opposite way in the e1-3 to the e4-8 application
- which means that the exhaust gases will make the turbo spin in one direction or the other for each type of turbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts