Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not being in the know about whats good nowadays, need a compact type camera with a good zoom lens, anti shake would be good, being used at shows etc some motorsport action and the usual kids use, (so an auto facility would be good)
Any recommendations from people, got around £200 to spend, had a canon S30 3 meg (just gone bang), can't afford an SLR, been looking at this lot so far,

1 Olympus SP510 £170
2 Fuji S6500FD £223
3 See link below
4 Olympus SP510UZ £199
5 Fuji S5600 £136

Sorry but cant do links to all of them apart from no 3 my favourite so far with image stability Panasonic DMCFZ7BB
Not quite right there :cry:

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Basically these are at PC world, or Empire direct if anyone can help with some information please. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Fuji S7000 and can't fault it for what it does.

Be sure you want one of the above.

I got my S7000 when it first came out but now want a proper DSLR.

·
Registered
819 Posts
have owned fuji, nikon, canon & olympus cameras at one time or another and have seen many more - have only used DSLR's recently though. The best non compact digitals I've seen, on average were the nikons (based mostly on quality of picture rather than much else)

with the sort of cameras halfway between compacts and the DSLR's were the fuji's - I had a fuji 6900 & 6900s - older models than what you mentioned and they were execellent versatile cameras. the S6500FD looks good for money

i have not used any of the cameras you mentioned though!!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
For a more money you can get a Panasonic Lumix FZ30 im on my third Fz series, great piece of kit for the money.
Around £350 online, worth the extra money though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
your not getting far from dslr money then though

·
Registered
44 Posts
I may be open to offers for my S7000 with accessories.

(2x tele lens, SD card, LowePro bag, remote cable release)

PM me if interested and I'll give further details.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mine was a 775 coolpix, can't remember the g/f's model but is better again and was under 200 quid (but not rechargable).

Dave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Im kinda in the same situation, going to Kenya soon and need a good zoom for safari, not a expert so need something straigt forward, I'm considering the Lumix FZ7 and the Canon S3 IS

Would be nice to know which one would be best (sorry to hijack but its related)

I like the FZ7 and it has better battery life but canon has better pic quality and mode settings for light etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Digital Depot and Jessops
are both good.

Jessops (if you have a shop in your area) will price match any UK online shop providing the online shop lists item "in stock"

I have always used Jessops and buying face to face with an expert certainly helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the current issue of T3 magazine have a line up of compacts, I'm pretty surre they rated the Canon ixus highest, but there were a few othermodels which also got 5 stars. Will check it out for ya and post my findings

·
Registered
5,968 Posts

·
12,906 Posts
FoZzY said:
Takes two AA Batteries, ok if you want to change them every 30 minutes or less, i prefer the camera with camcorder style batteries they last for hours.
It takes 4 AA batteries. However, yes, I dont want to be changing them every 20 mins.

Shame as it looks quite a good camera.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Cryptwalk said:
It takes 4 AA batteries. However, yes, I dont want to be changing them every 20 mins.

Shame as it looks quite a good camera.
Look a the panasonic Lumix Range, they take the camcorder style batteries.
Some picture taken with my FZ im no david Bailey though.

·
12,906 Posts
Nice, I miss my crosser! :blah: :cool:

How many pixels is that?

The thing that attracted me to the Fuji is that its 9 mega pixels.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Cryptwalk said:
Nice, I miss my crosser! :blah: :cool:

How many pixels is that?

The thing that attracted me to the Fuji is that its 9 mega pixels.
its 8MP
Here Clicky for £310 and in stock, i paid about £100 more than that but its dropped in price

review here.

review

1 - 20 of 41 Posts