Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes, especially when cold, it is quite difficult to select either
first or reverse gears. Moving around a bit (selecting 3rd, 4th, etc.)
seems to loosen the box and make selecting reverse easier.
I don't remember if it was much easier when the car was new (now 45000km,
first clutch, still no slip). Is this normal? If not what can be done
about it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have found that my gearbox has started doing this too, im pretty sure it didnt do this before christmas. As DrRoot say, selectin 3rd usually helps loosen the box up.
Any advice would help

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Evo V do it with the reverse gear and when it´s cold.I think that It happens because the reverse gear is not syncronized(I have problems with technical words).I can select it but I have to push it harder.I think that ther is no problem because nearly all cars I have drive made the same.With the third gear i don´t know what happens,sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same thing happened to me when they changed the engine on my E6. 1st and reverse were hard to get until warmed up. I originally put it down to poor alignment of the box to the clutch (engine mounts) or possibly the clutch needed bedding in on the new flywheel (?), however it is fine now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant really say if it happening with reverse, Dont really us it much http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >, wat can i expect to pay to have this sorted, and wat could the effects of leaving it as it is? can i expect damage to occur if i leave. if i have it sorted, i'll have it done at my next service.

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the same problem when the car is still cold - has not seemed to adversely affect anything in the 7 months I've had it - just a small pain as you sometimes need to slot into 3rd to get things moving.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2, 1, R, the same every morning to get things in motion.
Just put it down to cold bits, fine when warm, just got use to it.
Thought it was normal??
JeffIV

All straight and ready for another go, May 5th...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same problem sometimes with my E4
It happens when the temp outside is very cold.
All i do is to slip it into 3rd gear and back to 1st
before moving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have always had the problem and it gets better when warm then its nothing to worry about. Its only if you notice it getting worse or not easing when warm that you should start worrying. Just remember to check your engine mounts before you start stripping your box!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think HH6 is right about the engine mounts, specifically the rear one. Running anything thicker than Mitsu's Dia-Queen 75W/85 gear-oil also makes gear selection from tick-over. I have EXACTLY the same problem as you guys mentioned, and will be replacing the rear engine mount, as this I think also supports the transmission.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi. I have had problems selecting first gear when cold since the car was brand new - and now its done 20k miles its hasn't got any better(or any worse!) - I have mentioned it to my dealer a few times but get the usual 'its normal in this car' type of response - next to useless of course, but that is what i've come to expect from my dealer anyway. Unfortunately I only have one to choose from where I live, short of travelling to the UK, so am stuck with their answers (or the hassle of complaining directly to CCC)....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts