Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the car a couple of months and i've already blown one of the speakers in the back. I had a look and they are Alpine 6.5" speakers (if that means anything ?) not sure what the front speakers are and theres an alpine head unit. I haven't got a lot of money to spend on a top of the range audio set up as my money is going on other things on the car at the moment but i need to sort my speakers out as its starting to **** me off a bit now. What are the key components i need for a half decent system without spending too much money ? the music i listen to has a lot of bass, so i'm guessing i'm going to need an amp or sub or both and probably a new set of speakers. to be honest i'm not too clued up when it comes to audio systems but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be really helpful. I'm probably going to sort out the ICE properly towards the end of this year so i just need some basics to tide me over until then.

cheers,

Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Call prestige car audio in Rickmansworth ask for Chris, explain what you want to do now and in the future , he will sort you out a lovely sounding system, i think they have some specials on at the moment too.

Prestige Audio -01923 711113

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what sort of price would you consider cheap though, how much would a decent system be ? i was just looking for ideas in terms of what size, type and wattage of speakers, amp and sub i should look for as i was just gonna try and get a couple of bargains off ebay or something to keep me going.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Unfortunatly with car audio as with everything else you get what you pay for, you could easily put together an ebay system for less than £200 but for 150 more you could get something decent and new, for example (and assuming your HU has pre outs)
front components £100 ish
12" sub + sealed box £100
4ch Amp £125
wiring kit £25

For £500 then you will get a really nice sound.
for 1k then its serious quality
for 1k plus then you are getting really good
for close to 15k have a look at my wifes car in the profile.
Give chris a call and be honest with him, he usually has some specials at this time of year,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congratuations to you wife on her car, its truly stunning. to be honest 200 quid was the sort of budget i was setting myself which i know isn't a lot but at the moment thats all i can really spare. i spotted this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-4-Channel...4QQihZ014QQcategoryZ18805QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . would this be any good in your opinion, i'm sure its a very basic setup but for the price would it be good enough to keep me going for the moment ?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
that would be fine apart from the 6x9's, you really want to get something for the front doors and remove the rears to allow the bass through into the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i should completely remove the rears and let the sound from the sub come through the parcel shelf ? would the current speakers i have in the front be ok to keep, i'm guessing they are the same alpines as the rears. if not which speakers should i be looking at getting to fit in the standard front door panel ? will the sound be good enough with just 2 speakers in the front ? sorry to keep asking you so many questions, cheers for your help so far ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry if i'm out of order for asking this but if you have 5 minutes spare could you have a look at this seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CAR-AUDIO-SECURITY on ebay and maybe let me know which sub, amp and front component speakers i should go for within my budget. the prices seem to be pretty decent. i'd definately owe you one, if not then its no problem, i know i'm pushing my luck a bit ;)

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
swcfc said:
so i should completely remove the rears and let the sound from the sub come through the parcel shelf ? would the current speakers i have in the front be ok to keep, i'm guessing they are the same alpines as the rears. if not which speakers should i be looking at getting to fit in the standard front door panel ? will the sound be good enough with just 2 speakers in the front ? sorry to keep asking you so many questions, cheers for your help so far ;)
the front speakers could be left alone and done at a later date no probs .the rear ,best ones are 6 x 9 infinaty kappa .iv had my 6x9s for years and move them from car to car .my complete system has 2 x v12 alpine amps but just one amp will do ,ie i have one amp just powering my sub in the boot .first though ,your head unit will need the pre outs to lead to the amp .all you need to do it cheap is 1 set of 6x9s ,1 x amp wiring kit inc fuse power cable approx 25/30 amp cap ,speaker wires to go from head to amp . to mount the rear speakers in the parcel shelf remove the originals inc covers .buy some mdf to raise the speaker off the shelf by approx 30mm ,cut a hole in the mdf approx oval shape to allow rear of speaker to fit into .cover the mdf with carpet material ( available from motor shops ) .the speaker sits neatly onto the fixed into position base .the bases are easily removable aswell .( my own design ) i went further and made a removable base in the boot for my amps and 12" sub .luvly.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
...if you didn't want to go for a 6x9 (i like 'em but they rarely come as a non-co-ax these days - a co-ax will pull the image behind you, not ideal IMO) then why not buy 2 sets of the same components (6" or 6.5"), put one set in the doors with the tweeters at the bottom of the a-pillars (if you remove the a-pillar you'll see a lot of space to pass new wires from behind the dash, this is a little simpler than taking new wires into the doors).

Then install the 2nd set in on the deck (forget the second set of tweeters on the deck). An aftermarket 6" or 6.5"component playing into the boot cavity will be far better than the original fullrange (with whizzer).

You could do things in stages, consider this stage 1 and when you want more amp it all up.

www.mcs-direct.co.uk have some good deals IMO.

hope this helps,
danny.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
cheers for the excellent advice, i'm slowly getting to understand, sorry for all the questions. i've found a few different components but when it comes to wattage output what should i be looking for ? instead of getting the amp and sub could i just go for some more powerful decent component speakers in the front untill i have some spare cash to buy some decent equipment instead of settling for the cheapest sub/amp option ? and maybe a set of 6x9s in the back ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts