Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
Just wondering if it is actually good to down shift when decelerating/braking??? Will it hurt the engine or the turbo??? Will it build up back pressure, etc???

Thanks,. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it is a good idea to shift down when braking. It will help the car go through the next corner faster :D

Seriously, what do you mean? When really going for it or in traffic?
When going fast, shift down as late as possible. If you are as hard on the brakes as you can, downshifting wont help you slow down.
The turbo will make negative pressure when the clutch comes in on a lower gear. You could get ALS programmed into your ECU to avoid the problem :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any other way 2 drive ? Heel and toe is the way 2 go :) or if u r exceptionally skilled , left foot brake 2.................must learn how 2 do that........................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After watching a few vids of japs driving I thought I'd have a go at heel and toe.

I have size 11 feet, it was never going to happen :D I can't even heel the accelerator let along do it correctly :D no chance whatsoever!

As for left foot braking, the only problem is that you can't then, brake, rev AND change gear at the same time as you are flinging the car around a corner! what you really need is another foot and an extra hand!

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ryan

I hope this isn't teaching my grandmother etc or comes over condesending/rude.

If you can brake with your right foot you can toe and heel. I have never understood why it is called toe and heel because you don't use your heel at all. It might almost be better to call it inside outside foot braking! With the left hand side of your foot on the on the right side of the brake pedal, you should find that the right side of your foot will cover the accelarator. With practice, it is quiet easy to blip the accelarator while pushing the brake by twisting your foot around its fore and aft axis. In fact, big feet would probably make it easier.

The whole point about left foot braking is that it makes it easier to match engine speed to braking. You can saty on the brake longer, keep the accelerator depressed and the turbo spinning and then, at the right time come off the brake and you already have the pedal to the metal.

Or have i missed something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon,
Yup I can do that, I'm more talking about how I've seen some of the jap drivers do it, literally they get their right foot horizontal, that's prob why its called toe and heel :D

Was trying to find the link to where I found the movie but I can't remember :(

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With my Size 13's I can heel the accelerator, press the brake and toe the clutch all at the same time. If only I could vary the pressure on all 3 points then I'd make the worlds greatest driver. Unfortunatley I can't vary the pressure therefore I'm crap at driving :D

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy,
easy m8 , just break yer foot in three places :)

2 c some real fancy footwork watch the video footage of that Audi works driver(can't recall his name but quattro era) in the sport version of the works car when the camera altern8s between his feet and the road ahead view , just staggering !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seen that. Walter Röhrl. A living legend! He still canes around the Nürburgring in various high performance cars for tests.

Did you see how the revs go up on that short wheel base Audi Quattro? Unreal! But then again, with over 900 bhp, I can see that. Michelle Mouton drove that thing too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Claudius,

Thanx m8 , I am ashamed 2 forget Herr Rohrl's name tut , tut.

I can watch that video over and over , and it always chills my spine 2 c a car driven with such devastating skill , the world is a poorer place without Group B and the likes of Walter , Michelle , Ari , Henri etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally agree Evoboy, you're preaching a convicted here! We need WRCars that are faster than road cars, not the contrary. GrB was something else! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.