Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my life I've always stood by the fact that tires on the car will keep you rolling safely. I can easily spend thousands on performance parts for my car, but if I turn around and get cheap when it comes to tires, then all that money really won't show when my car is attached to a wall due to failure of tires. I just bought some Advan wheels for my Evo 5, model 7 in gold if anyone's interested. Now comes the question of which tires to get? I've posted a list of tires that I'm interested in getting, in no particular order. I know some of you have used several tires in the past, some stick to their favorites, others tend to try out new ones hoping to find that overall best handling, best performance on both wet/dry, consistency, durability, longevity, etc. Will people that read this post vote on which tires they like best? I've numbered them, so if you don't want to re-write or explain the reason why you like this particular tire, I'll understand since this question as been asked several times, yet never like this. At the end of a week, I'll add up the tire that got the most votes, and that's what I'll be purchasing. Thanks for all your replies ahead of time, now here's the list of my top 10 choices in no particular order:

(1) Michelin Pilot Sport
(2) Yokohama AVS dB
(3) Toyo Proxes FZ4
(4) Dunlop SP Sport 9000
(5) Kumho Ecsta MX
(6) Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico
(7) BFGoodrich Comp T/A ZR
(8) Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
(9) Pirelli P7000 and P7000 Supersport
(10) Kumho Ecsta V700

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in the same boat (new 18' wheels and need new tyres) but from previous postings the general consensus was that PZeros Asimetricos offer the best all round package (out of standard road tyres, not counting the road legal 'semi slicks'). Dunlop and AVS are not too bad, Toyo bit worst and the rest pretty much forget about. You didn't list Goodyear F1's which slot inbetween AVS and Toyo's. Oh yeah and SO3's are about the same rating as the Toyos.
This is the impression I have got over the many opinions that have been expressed in the dozens of postings on tyres and takes into account the prices etc.

Summary in preference order:
(6) Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico ('Yellow')
(4) Dunlop SP Sport 9000 |PLS| (2) Yokohama AVS dB |PLS| Pirelli PZero Direzionale (Rosso)
Goodyear Eagle F1
(3) Toyo Proxes FZ4 |PLS| Bridgestone SO3

...then the rest

I think you can guess what I will be getting ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are only three tyres i would even consider for that car
GOODYEAR F1'S
BRIDGESTONE S03'S
PERRELI P ZERO'S

MY PERSONAL VIEW IS THE F1'S THEN THE SO3'S . THEY WILL ALL DRIVE WELL BUT THE F1 IS SUCH A GREAT TYRE . good tyres will make up for loads of hp so spend carefully . ps i run 18 on my 6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll go with the Assimetricos after all. They were my choice from the beginning, just wanted everyone's opinion on these other brands. Blade mentioned once that Kumho tires were pretty good, but he failed to mention the model. I also get alot of people that go to AutoX (SSCA Single Autocross) complementing kumho. I'll be getting some slicks for my OZ F1 wheels, for track only.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What makes you say that Jerry, my E6 had a brand new set on when i bought it so i`ve not had a chance to try any others yet, but they seem perfectly fine to me, or is that the car???

Goodyear F1s next as i got a set cheap! (plus i had them on the Scoob and they were sh*t hot)

Rich. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry

The Yokos are exactly what you say. They are great if you like to slide your car everywhere but if you want serious grip, look elsewhere. After driving a car on the Yoko's, I specced S-02's for my Extreme and I know others who did the same. Suspect I will try either the Asimmetrico or the Toyo next, unless Bridgestone bring out an improvement to the S-03's (another POS)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HH6,

(4) Dunlop SP Sport 9000 |PLS| (2) Yokohama AVS dB |PLS| Pirelli PZero Direzionale (Rosso)

Slight correction here ... P-Zero Rossos are not available in Direzionale tread pattern, only
Assimetrico. Yellows are available in both tread patterns. Yellows and Rossos are different
tyres in terms of compound and pattern.

Ian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts