Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps, i'm thinking of getting a decat fitted to my TME. Apart from this it the car is still standard. The question is - is it worth doing?

Anyone tried this mod on its own on a TME?

Just from observation the standard TME rear box looks pretty good as its straight through. What about the rset of the system?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oli,
Replaced my std exhaust with a TME backbox and centre section and then decatted it. It appears to pull a lot stronger higher up the rev range than before but I haven't done any back to back tests to compare the two so it may be just my 'seat of the pants' accelerometer needs recalibrating ;)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your responses. You're right in saying I should get the whole system done but at £300|PLS| even for the cheapest Magnex i'm reluctant to part with the money whilst there ain't nothing wrong with the current pipe. I'm getting a local rally prep place to make me a mild steel decat so I won't lose too much dosh even if it does nothing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the same position as you Oli Goon..... Will probably end up getting a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust but don't want to splash out all that money just yet while the OEM exhaust on there at the mo is fine, although it is a V so the exhaust is now 3.5 years old..... I'm also thinking of just a de-cat pipe at the mo. Has anyone else any experience with just a de-cat pipe and is the difference very noticeable???

Cheers All

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnex de-cat is only £50, worth a shot. You can always add to it later as funds improve or sell it on later. Should give you an improvement, not sure how much though as I swapped the full zorst with Magnex in one go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW can you all generally get your Evo's through an MOT emissions test with your de-cat on, does it fail or is it just pot luck???

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guy at my test centre looked in his little book form the ministry of transport blah blah, any way because my car evo 4, wasn't listed he said he could test it without a cat but it would have to pass the emmisions, would it with a little tweaking?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I can't believe you are so hesitant it whipping that exhaust off. I junked (well it's actually in the shed!) all of mine with about 1500 miles on the clock for a full Magnex system including de-cat. £555 and worth every penny in both performance and noise. Do it now, I promise you you will be grinning like an idiot the first time you hear it on full chat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got the deact now. Looking at the cat you can see that it would be pretty restrictive to flow.

Interestingly whilst perfomance is better at top end (still goes hard at 130mph) mid range seems to be worse. May be just my bum-o-meter not working totally.

I will get the car emmissions tested at a local station and post the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oli goon

Did you get your emissions tested ?

My car is failing the emissions with the cat put back in!! Still have the magnex downpipe and exhaust fitted. Its been tested at Mitsi on their MUT-II and they cant find anything wrong. Looks like I'm gonna have to fit the entire OEM exhaust to get it to pass!

Anyone else had this problem with their performance exhausts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oli,

I hope this is right, but i believe what you are experiencing now is a lack of back pressure from the restrictive exhaust which has reduced the torque but which has freed up the bhp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Garp,
Can you please explain how a loss of torque can be attributed to a loss of back pressure from the exhaust?

I've heard this from a few sources but I fail to understand how less back pressure in the exhaust can cause a drop in torque.

Cheers

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AndyF_RSX

my 2ps worth

I dont think you loose torque with the de-cat, the torque curve is just shifted higher up the rev range, thus you feel like you have lost torque lower down. I have done back to back tests with my E5 with/without a cat and it definately feels (by my bumometer ;)) that with the cat it has more torque lower down. My mate who used to own an E5 RS did a similair test and he felt the same.

As for the technical reasons why this happens, I'm not sure!

....Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian,
I've put a query in technical to see if anyone knows why this happens. I've thought through a few possible reasons but none of them seem to make any sense.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went for the de- cat first (Magnex) and had an improvement in low end grunt .I have now just fitted the complete Magnex system and it is grrreeaaattt .Much better responce from the engine fantastic noise and hopfully 3 foot flames ....
Do It and do it NOW..:) :)
Dia bach

1 - 20 of 24 Posts