Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone had and induction kit and de-cat on a evo 7?
If yes whats it like and would you reccomend it.
Just got my evo 7 and am planning to get these two items at my first service any help
would be alot. :)
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the decat done,very impressed especialy at high rpm,exhaust on the 7 is much less restrictive than previous models as is the induction replacing these i estimate would only give a max 5-10bhp upgrade over just a decat which i estimate gives an extra 15-20 bhp wether its worth waking up the neighbours and the expense is down to the individual.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silver7,

How do these upgrades benefit low/midrange torque, if at all ?

Just for those times when you can't go full throttle !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
silver7
are you saying that removing the cat on the 7 will give 15-20bhp!!!!! does it make the car that loud ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver 7,

What Decat Pipe did you get and how much was it? I've just fitted an HKS Hiper Muffler and am looking to replace the cat next.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All
Had the hks muffler fitted and de-cat done aswell.
Can,t tell you what its like yet as iv,e had no chance to drive the car yet.
I had the de-cat quick release pipe from a company called roger clark motosport
They prepare rally cars and do some rallys them selfs and know alot about the cars.
Really helpful chaps.
The muffler sounds great :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy P

Low and midrange torque seem unafected the difference is at high rpm say over 5k the engine revs much more freely upto the red line previously above 6k it seemed to take an eternity to squeeze the final bit of power out of the engine.

Sam

The result was much better than expected but dont forget that 6 owners reported an inrease of about 25bhp when replacing the exhaust and cat,the 7 ive been told has a better induction layout, less restrictive exhaust and runs more boost maybe thats why the result was more suprising.As for noise its very slightly louder.In my previous thread which seems a bit misleading what i was trying to say was that fitting an aftermarket exhaust after having a decat in my opinion would on give an extra 5bhp or so because the original is pretty much upto the job.
BTW when i had my 6 decatted the restult was not as good.

Croz

Had the decat pipe from Ralliart Dudley cost was about £100 and about £18 to fit,have seen one advertised recently for about £45 but can't remember which mag it was in will try to find out and let you know.

Just as a point of interest a friend of mine has an evo7 also.his has the titanium turbo option mine has not but he does not have a decat pipe fitted.We were traveling along the M54 side by side(we had arranged this little experiment before setting off)we were at about 55mph in 3rd gear and both accelerated flat out at the same time using all available revs through the gears.Now i wouldn't say i blew him away but i did open up a gap of over 100metres in less than a mile.Needles to say he was a bit pi**ed off(sorry H alias blackevo7)and i was very chuffed.
How much of this is down to how quick my evo was out of the box compared to his i'm not sure but i doubt it could have been that much if any considering his was fitted with a titanium turbo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
silver7
thanks for the info. what you are saying is very interesting though about the comparison between you and your friends car. however how did the cars compare before the you removed the cat ?.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam

Didn't do any side by side comparisons before my decat but i did drive my mates quite a few times and they felt the same in terms of speed and acceleration.Have also driven his after my decat and mine is definatly quicker at high rpm.
Just as a point of interest and moving away from the topic slightly mine is also fitted with a spring lowering kit and fast road geometry setup by R.C without going into to much detail GET IT DONE,infact i think that this should be the first mod done to any evo before trying to squeeze any more bhp out of it as it gives the greatest overall performance increase(A TO B)than any other single engine mod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting

that must be one pig pussy you had there :).

again with it moving away from the main topic ( however i don't see many contributing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sam

The replacement springs were no stiffer than the originals so wet weather handling was not affected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.