Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the minute i`m running a Dawes device that i think is really good.The spool up time seems fast, and it holds the boost really well, with very little fluctuation no matter what.

Now i rang P.E. to enquire about having the ECU programmed to 98ron @ 1.5 bar, which they said no problem to, BUT that they HATE (or at least the guy i spoke to did) the Dawes Device, and that he much prefers the Blitz range of boost controllers.

So what is the problem with the Dawes (apart from been cheap) and how much better off would i be with the Blitz controller (which they sell b.t.w.!) I`m not bothered about fancy settings |PLS| features for the minute, as i have two boost modes anyway using the Dawes |PLS| Dawes solenoid.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rich

I run the PE 98 ron setup with 1.5bar with the HPBC from http://www.turboxs.com. Check out my thread in the engine section dynoed my car with a complete write-up about the spec and the results.
As long as you don't need different boost settings and a fancy display I wouldn't buy the Blitz EBC. If you want to set different boost at different rpms the Apexi is still the one to go for.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
richie i ordered a dawes last week mate sam recommended it what does it actually do im a novice myself in these things.

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richi,
I can't see any reason why you can't have the PE remapped to your Dawes device.
The reason they might be wanting you to change is that they probably haven't got a standard map for 1.5 bar with a Dawes therefore they will have to map it to your car on a R/R to get the best results whereas if you had the Blitz boost controller then they'd be able to provide you with a 'standard' map and tweak it for your car.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike...thats what i was thinking m8, personally i think they are possibly trying to make a quick buck on me.I`ve read your thread a number of times, interesting as theres not many people tune thier cars as high as me and you without the aid of an electronic controller, the advantage of which over a mechanical one is that you get even pressures over different atmospheric pressures.(and rpm with the APEXi which dont bother me t.b.h.).

Moses...basically the Dawes replaces the standard solenoid that your car uses to control boost.Although you leave the standard solenoid connected to the electrical side of things to prevent it error logging, the air side of things is completely disconnected.The dawes then sit`s between the intercooler outlet and the actuator and control`s boost that way.Due to the location of the turbo on the Evo, i have it postioned on the side of the BOV, which makes for easy adjustment too!
You will also need a boost gauge to set it up with.

Andy...i`m not sure, though your probably right.

Rich :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich

I actually got the hint from Clive who also uses a MBC with good success. Also Sam uses the Dawes on his VII without any problem.
I drove the car now in various different weather conditions and the boost doesn't alter much. I drove two days on the Ring and did another track day and never had to touch any screw to change the boost setting. At 110mph I can even drive on vacuum or very little boost and fuel economy is satisfying.

You won't need another map with a MBC than with an EBC, in the end they all do the same. Do it you won't regret it! Save those bucks and spend it on track days!

If you need any other info just drop me a mail or let's go on with this thread.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is absolutely no foundation to what they are saying. the dawe and the blitz will do the exactly same job on controlling the boost. i think personally it will control the boost as good as any electronic boost controller there.

did you need to increase the bleed hole in the dawe at all? i got a little bit of flutations at around 4000-4500 revs with the standard bleed hole size. the turbo smart kit that mike has got, has the added advantage of an adjutable bleed valve.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike - can you send me details/costs etc. for your kit? A friend of mine wants to do the same...

BTW, he has a PE remap too.

I think their statement has more to do with the fact that they sell Blitz boost controllers! They didn't want to fit an Apexi one to Darwin's car, until he insisted.

Just put your foot down - tell them that's what you want, and make sure they map the ECU to suit your car - they will have a 1.5 bar map, and will just tweak it to suit your car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thanks for the replies guys, looks asthough we are all thinking the same thing then :D

Evo-7, i`ve not altered the bleed hole yet, i`ve read its better if you drill it out to 1.0mm but i didnt have a drill bit handy at the time soi just stuck it on with the standard 0.5mm.

Check out http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid|EQU|77143 for lots of good information on this topic :)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tony

I purchased my High Performance Boost Controller directly from http://www.turboxs.com in the States. You can check all the details about it on their website. The Dawes is even cheaper but doesn't have the adjustable bleed hole as Sam already stated. Fitting is also quite easy, takes you about 1/2 hour. Just follow the instructions to set it up and you're done.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
went through alot of trial and error when fitting the dawes, i opened up the bleed hole to reduce boost spike by working it with a tack(u know the ones u use 2 nail things up) and it helped. however because still running standard ecu boost cut is the limit of adjustability, ecu does not like sustained levels of around 1.1bar and above. still experience boost spiking i think this is down to using quite long pipe work so it is easier to adjust.have to say it does work but i cudnt help but feel dissapointed that my target of 1.1 sustained cudn't be reached that does not go so far as to say i have fitted or adjusted the device aswell as others can,and also atmospheric conditions will effect boost when set on the very limit of fuel cut,e.g on colder days u may start fuel cutting while on hotter days not reach ur original setting.the advantages of an electronic controller is it is easier to adjust and can be done in car on the move(avoiding burnt hands :D) and switchable boost levels. the dawes device is efficient and cost effective when the sole purpose is to raise the boost level to a desired level without the scope for regular major boost adjustments.if setup just right you cant go wrong for 35 quid. i know alot of electronic controllers can be just as difficult to get to grips with as the dawes and other similar boost controllers.
Just my 2p worth
Regards

Umreet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
question,

if you fit the dawes device (or similar) and go for a PE remap, then how does the ecu know what boost is being run as there is no MAP sensor on the standard ecu?

I suppose as the air flow meter is measuring the air flow that the fuel mapping can be done from this?

Hence why not get PE to remap ecu to air flows that correspond with 2 bar boost (or even more)? Then when you feel like a sprint you just wind up the boost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oli,
Even as standard, the ECU doesn't know what boost level is being run. It calculates its fuelling based on the mass of air going into the engine and it determines this from the airflow meter and air temperature sensors.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rich
i have experiemented with a different set ups with the dawe so far. i had an bleed valve fitted to bleed extra air which basically transforms it to turbo xs kit. the reason i had to adjust it was there was a little fluctations due to the size of the turbo on the evo. the info from the scoobies help but our turbos are larger so we will need larger bleed holes. i have got a 1.5mm bleed hole on mine and taken the bleed valve off.
i have had the dawes in the car for over 4 months now very handy thing to have.

urmeet
was the bleed hole i drilled for you not enough? YHM BTW

oli
we don't have map sensors on evos, what andy says is very true. however the way it calculates boost cut is very accurate. mine comes in if i hold 1.55bar for 2-4secs.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies, i`ll take the bleed hole out alittle more, as the last time i was out i also noticed slight fluctations in the boost pressure.Keeping the Dawes though, i cannot warrant paying £300|PLS| for an electronic boost controller when theres better things that i can buy :D

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
richw thanks for the advice mate, God bless yeah u still on in the scoobynet i usually go their at night to chat with the scoobie boys its fun:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.