1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a Dash Cam

What do people who have one recommend?

Needs to be a stand-alone, not linked to Smart-phone App. Just record to a card.
Cheap up to £50 ish
Discreet, maybe mounted behind the rear view mirror so I can leave it in there for security and mainly want it to record my driving (not to be a vigilante and berate other road users' driving).
I've seen a few advertised that fit the above but does anyone have one for similar?

Cheers :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Yet to buy one as I never seem to be able to decide on one but there is a wealth of info over on http://www.techmoan.com

Do you want one with a screen or without? The two standout options in your budget at the Mini0805/0806 which has a screen or the Mobius which doesn't have a screen.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one without screen will be more discreet I guess and less distracting at night?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Under what circumstances can the police view your on board video footage. If you get stopped for dangerous driving for instance because you crossed over a solid line or something and your saying you didn't. Can they use your footage against you? Can they review it on the side of the road too or do they need to get a warrant so by which time it might have been accidently over written.

Personally I hate these things, I think it's a slippery slope with everyone having one in there cars and like most good intentioned ideas I'm sure it will get used against us all in the end.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow I only asked what are a good one to get - not interested in using it for 'evidence' of any sort really. Hope never to have to.

Wanted to use it as a go pro kind of without paying out go pro prices

And NO they cannot use any video evidence other than what they record themselves as it has to be calibrated and checked I think you will find. Just like speed guns, cameras, et. al.

:handsup:

Reactions: craigdbarber

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I've an HKS DMR, front and rear cameras plus limited telemetry. Nice piece of kit but bit more than £50.

Why don't you buy an older GoPro Hero 3 or 3+ and use that? Both can do 1080p and be set to loop at whatever resolution you prefer?

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,264 Posts
Maybe we need a Group buy on these...:smthumbup...We've been thinking of putting one in our Evo cos you know if you were involved in an accident it will always be your fault as your the one with the big whale tail on your rear boot :lol:

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Wow I only asked what are a good one to get - not interested in using it for 'evidence' of any sort really. Hope never to have to.

And NO they cannot use any video evidence other than what they record themselves as it has to be calibrated and checked I think you will find. Just like speed guns, cameras, et. al.

I know it has to be calibrated for speeding but dangerous driving is another matter. If your seen to be crossing solid lines or driving erratically then it doesn't have to be calibrated for speed. So if they see you at a distance but can't catch up in time to record you can they use your video as evidence.
My friend died on his superbike and they put it down to his fault because they got hold of some dash cam footage from a couple of car drivers that showed him crossing white lines and over taking them much faster than they were travelling at a few miles before the accident.
And although it doesnt prove what speed he was going it showed he was going at least twice the speed of the cars he over took and pulling in and out so they said he was driving dangerously and so he was at fault. Just a point worth looking into in my opinion and why I wouldnt fit one or at least turn it off when driving enthusiastically

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roadhawk and Dogcam have got sales running at the moment
I said dash cam - not going Dogging in the Evo :crackup:

Cheers for the advise Goran I will look :smthumbup

Reactions: will2

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts

Incorrect, serving a speeding ban now and the police used jo blogs camera as evidence. And believe me I questioned it, cost me a small fortune and still got banned.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Incorrect, serving a speeding ban now and the police used jo blogs camera as evidence. And believe me I questioned it, cost me a small fortune and still got banned.
Which aspect did they use to convict?

The software has no pedigree so the recorded time can't be trusted, it could be running fast. The frame rate isn't guaranteed so if a few frames are dropped, it could appear that you are going faster than you were without being able to easily tell.

Speed derived from GPS is bo110ck5 as if it loses signal, the position will jump giving an inaccurate speed.

Also, the GPS assumes that you are on the WGS 84 ellipsoid which can differ significantly from the actual surface of the earth so could over or under read.

As mentioned above, dangerous driving is one thing but with speeding, the only way to convict should be a calibrated device.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
Which aspect did they use to convict?

The software has no pedigree so the recorded time can't be trusted, it could be running fast. The frame rate isn't guaranteed so if a few frames are dropped, it could appear that you are going faster than you were without being able to easily tell.

Speed derived from GPS is bo110ck5 as if it loses signal, the position will jump giving an inaccurate speed.

Also, the GPS assumes that you are on the WGS 84 ellipsoid which can differ significantly from the actual surface of the earth so could over or under read.

As mentioned above, dangerous driving is one thing but with speeding, the only way to convict should be a calibrated device.

Cheers,

Simon

Basically, the footage showed a gps indicated speed of 70mph in the persons car and myself and 2 other cars speeding past on the outside lane, from there the police sent an expert to the location, measured distances and frame by frame of said footage and determined x speed, well over 100mph alledgelly.

We then employed our own expert/lawyers/barristers and battle with the cps questioning procedure/the equipment/the expert etc, this went on for over a year, we then went to trial and lost.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Basically, the footage showed a gps indicated speed of 70mph in the persons car and myself and 2 other cars speeding past on the outside lane, from there the police sent an expert to the location, measured distances and frame by frame of said footage and determined x speed, well over 100mph alledgelly.

We then employed our own expert/lawyers/barristers and battle with the cps questioning procedure/the equipment/the expert etc, this went on for over a year, we then went to trial and lost.
That's not good at all, the GPS could easily have been wrong and the frame rate can't be guaranteed. Sets a very dangerous precedent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've an HKS DMR, front and rear cameras plus limited telemetry. Nice piece of kit but bit more than £50.

Why don't you buy an older GoPro Hero 3 or 3+ and use that? Both can do 1080p and be set to loop at whatever resolution you prefer?
:lol:
I've tried using my GoPro 4 as a dashcam, but the footage was too shaky :rotz:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts