Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
I knew my car was pretty loud when I bought it so I got a cheap dBM-meter from maplins and gave it a test... 117dB!

Looks like I'm gonna need a quieter back-box; any suggestions?

PS - I have no idea what back box is fitted now, but it's a 3inch pipe and it does have a cat.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
HOLY MOLY mate, thats REALLY loud!!!

I thought mine was bad, and I only hit 102dB.
Did you definately do the test 'correctly' ie 1m away, at 45 degrees to tailpipe at 75% of the redline??

Mine was too loud also, so I got a silenced decat. Didnt do alot, but did drop 2 or 3db at 70mph on the motorway, which was a small help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, just short of 5000rpm, (red line is 7000), 45 degrees, but we did 0.5m, not 1m...

I'm going on my first track outing tomorrow at Rockingham, so I really want to see if I can find (and fit!) a new, quieter, exhaust today. Anybody know a good supplier down south? Near Reading / Slough area ideally?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
might be 0.5 m, you're probably right
hope you manage to quieten it down.... my mates all booked a track day at Bedford, but I didnt even bother cos I suspected I'd fail the test.

One of the guys did fail, and lost his money and didnt even get to do a lap :(

·
MLR Traders
6,505 Posts
i think this will be something that more and more are going to need

mine tripped noise meters at snett and i was told to quieten it for next time or be kicked off

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems the HKS Silent Exhausts have had a few half decent reviews, and no, I'm not a massive fan of the volume either!

Anybody know somewhere in Berkshire where I can pick one up? :D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Evening all,
I knew my car was pretty loud when I bought it so I got a cheap dBM-meter from maplins and gave it a test... 117dB!

Looks like I'm gonna need a quieter back-box; any suggestions?

PS - I have no idea what back box is fitted now, but it's a 3inch pipe and it does have a cat.
i have magnex downpipe with decat and superdragger its perfect, nice subtle roar on boost but silent when on motorway i wouldn't dream of changing it nothing worse than the motorway droan to give you a headache hope that may help you :smthumbup

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not too sure on where to get them as mine was on the car when imported. I'm sure google can help you!
sorry, laziness on my part :lol:

a few places seem to stock them, looks like another £500 quid on the evo...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I run a Nur Spec RX. It's pretty quiet while pootling about, but it still howls when the car is opened up. It's a good comprimise but there is still a background drone on motorways etc. A lot better that my Nur Spec R.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
i've got the HKS Silent Hi-Power. not too loud, but makes a nice groan under boost. Only thing letting it down are at the bends where it reduces slightly from 3". But unless your going for crazy power, i shouldnt see it being a problem

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the Magnex 4inch rolled fitted to my six with the 3inch front pipe and a 3inch sports cat which just about scraps it through the mot test and it is fairly quiet on tick over and cruising but when you give it some welly it makes a very nice roar that isnt to intrusive. Iam not a massive fan of really loud exhausts my first evo had a oz gt1 system on it cat back and it was so loud that on full bore you couldnt talk to the passenger god knows what that would have been like with the cat removed.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
my exhaust is loud and when i'm going out to work at 3.30am i'm sure its annoying the neighbours, so today i went to my local powerflow exhaust centre and they made my a bung for £20, it really quiet now - no louder than any other car. The bung is removable too.

keep your exhaust and get a bung made.

cheers

Andy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts